Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2003 Outlander electrical issues... battery light brake light problems starting

Old 08-08-2013, 03:02 PM

spray all ground points with crc66 and did you check continuity along wires? If they look good, they probably are, but measuring sh'ts a good idea too.

If the old plugs look good, keep em. Did you gap the new ones properly? .05mm wont kill it and give you a bigger spark if the rest of ign in good condition

comp test will tell you whats happning in #1.
If its just lights on the dash, it could be a ground up in behind it. The park brake light shouldnt be, but may have cought/crushd the wire

Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Yes I measured all the wires from the beginning to the end it several points in between I stab them. I was talking to a guy at work that Dr nothing but Mitsubishi and he said that there is a gasket at the top of the plug wire that tends to get worn out over time and that could be my issue with the oil getting into number one anybody ever heard of this before? If so you got any recommendations on where to buy the gaskets?

Old 09-17-2016, 12:55 AM
Default Oil killed your alternator?

Originally Posted by mainelary
so new to the form new Mitsubishi owner just bought a "cheap" 2003 Outlander and maybe regretting it already. the battery light and brake light come on and stay on the alternator seems to be working properly and was check with a multi-meter and is working properly I can disconnect the battery while car is running and it continues to run... I've cleaned all the wires and terminals that I can see I'm curious if maybe anyone has experience with this.. this is my first foreign build car I've ever owned always owned Buicks ( roadmasters).. Also today for the first time had an issue starting it after it was warm it felt like the fuel pump was going in it but it seems to run fine once I got it going it would start and stall about 4 times before I was able to keep it going..? Help!! I'm assuming it must be electrical but looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot it down
Check out this YouTube link, I have the same problem on my 2000 Montero Sport and I can almost promise you the problem is your alternator has failed and it may be caused by an oil leak AZ great as these old Mitsubishi are they have a consistent problem with leaky valve cover gaskets and front seal on the camshaft obviously replacing the alternator and 16 weeks is the answer to nobody wants to stick to that kind of money in an older vehicle I know I know I'm looking at mine right now and the only way keeps running right is if I recharge the brand new battery every 8 hours of driving time I just found this solution myself and it may be the answer for you a company called Motor Parts America or MPA makes remanufactured and new alternators with this handy oil spill shield on it hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/RhFoFSe1A3U

Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Default 04 Mitsubishi Outlander awd

Iam having this same issue battery light & brake light on but car will not start without booster cables it will drive few miles die out after that alternator & battery tested good at Advance auto.. it shook real bad n died on highway this was after having battery & alternator checked please help

Old 10-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Default 04 Mitsubishi Outlander awd

Originally Posted by Sebba
I don't have an ECU pinout diagram for that car, so I can't help you. It's not getting a voltage signal from the alternator.
My battery light & brake light stay on car will not start unless boosted (Jumper cables) It will drive maybe 2 miles shakes stalls out I had Alternator & battery checked at advance both supposedly good... But I was walking out to the car few days ago and my Front Ecu was making a noise without key in ignition never seen or heard of this please help if possible thank u all

Old 07-12-2021, 10:32 AM

did you ever figure this out. I have the same problem with my 2005