Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Outlander exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:48 PM
yel
Default 2007 Outlander exhaust question

My 2007 Outlander needs a new catalytic converter and pipe (#3 on Mitsubishi page), but is not worth putting $650 into dealer replacement. It looks like magnaflow 51539 ($500) is the cheapest stainless aftermarket replacement. Anyone know of anything cheaper, even if it is steel. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Old 04-21-2017, 10:36 AM
yel

Thanks for the link, it turns out my catalytic converter is fine, it is just the intermediate pipe that I can not find available in steel or aluminized steel. Which is #3 on this page from Mitsubishi.

I can only find it available in stainless steel like here:

Amazon Amazon

It looks like I will have to have it made at a muffler shop if I do not want to pay $500.00 for a stainless version.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Outlander exhaust question-number_3.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM

Question on this diagram: The mid pipe (part 3) -- is that a catalytic converter at the front of that pipe or just a resonator of some sort? I had some custom exhaust work done and they cut that piece out completely and just put in a new section of pipe to replace some that was bad. And apparently this part in question was bad too because it's gone. I can't imagine you could just eliminate a converter without consequences, nor would a reputable shop even attempt it. They told me it was a resonator and that the converters on the V6 are up at the manifold, but seeing some other diagrams and descriptions, I am skeptical. So far I have no check engine light, but I don't want any surprises when I go in for an emissions check.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks!!!

Edit: "OUT OF STOCK - Unavailable until further notice" Damn it.

Last edited by Careful; 12-01-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by copyboy311
Question on this diagram: The mid pipe (part 3) -- is that a catalytic converter at the front of that pipe or just a resonator of some sort? I had some custom exhaust work done and they cut that piece out completely and just put in a new section of pipe to replace some that was bad. And apparently this part in question was bad too because it's gone. I can't imagine you could just eliminate a converter without consequences, nor would a reputable shop even attempt it. They told me it was a resonator and that the converters on the V6 are up at the manifold, but seeing some other diagrams and descriptions, I am skeptical. So far I have no check engine light, but I don't want any surprises when I go in for an emissions check.
There seems to be an O2 sensor coming out of it on mine, so I think cat.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Careful
There seems to be an O2 sensor coming out of it on mine, so I think cat.
Do you have the 4-cylinder or 6? It would be a different setup. And although the part they cut out of my exhaust may have been a third converter, if it had an O2 sensor, cutting it out of the system would activate the check-engine light. I have no CEL. I've been meaning to go back to the shop and ask what they did, but I've had no problems since the repair and also I'm lazy.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by copyboy311
Do you have the 4-cylinder or 6? It would be a different setup. And although the part they cut out of my exhaust may have been a third converter, if it had an O2 sensor, cutting it out of the system would activate the check-engine light. I have no CEL. I've been meaning to go back to the shop and ask what they did, but I've had no problems since the repair and also I'm lazy.
I have the 6.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 PM

So I did ask the shop, and yes, that is a 3rd cat converter; however, it is not connected to an O2 sensor, so it does not relay any info to the ECU and thus will not trip any check-engine light. They insisted it would pass an emissions test as well. They never asked me if it was OK with me to cut it out. Shady? A little bit, yes. But I'd still choose that option over replacing with the factory part that cost 4 times as much. The car is 11 years old.

Quick Reply: 2007 Outlander exhaust question