Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2009 Model Factory Fitted Alarm Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Default 2009 Model Factory Fitted Alarm Problems

Afternoon all, I have a new Outlander 2009 Model bought here in the UK from a registered dealer. The car is 4 months old and suddenly the alarm is misbehaving in that for no reason it will go off usually at some terrible time during the night. Anyone experienced this problem or can recommend a solution as the dealer can not work out what is wrong? Many thanks, Craig

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM

One suggestion would be an alarm that is too sensitive so that something like strong winds could set it off. Can the dealer turn down the sensitivity of the alarm? Another possibility is someone in your neighborhood has the same code as your alarm and that's what is setting it off. Has the dealer tried changing the code of the alarm?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM

I agree with what azjake says, my alarm played up when new and found it was only when I parked next to a particular Toyota, the person renewed their car and my problem was solved.

The sensitivity to movement can also be turned down by the dealer. Do you have the retrofit UK alarm with a LED on the middle of the console. If so when the alarm goes off and you enter the car the LED flashes to indicate the cause of the alarm, worth noting the number of flashes so you can tell the dealer.

Last edited by lozcart; 01-21-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:54 AM

Thank You azjake and lozcart, yes it is the alarm with the LED in center console - will take note of the flashes as i have noticed the indicators flash 4 times on opening rather than the usual twice. The dealer says they have turned down the sensitivity so i am going to forward the alternative suggestions. Someone mentioned to me that if the battery is faulty and losing voltage that too could set of the alarm. This would tally with the alarm going off late at night when the car has been parked for a number of hours. Anyone heard of something like this? Would be good to get to the bottom of this before the neighbours go mad and have the car towed.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:52 AM

I would be surprised if the battery was causing the problem on a 2009 model, does the engine crank slowly on the initial start first thing in the morning, if so this would indicate the battery is dying.

You may be interested to read my thread regarding alarm problems and other peoples experiences.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=27100

Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 AM

Great insight thanks lozcart, I did not get the extra manual page insert that you mentioned. I am now checking each time i unlock the car for the number of flashes and would be grateful if you could advise the key code describing what the 1,2,3,4 or 6 flashes mean. I will also do the open window test re ultrasonic sensors to see if they are faulty. Cheers craig

Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Craig, if you PM me your email address I will scan the additional two alarm pages and send them to you.

The alarm trigger LED flash indicators are
1- Doors
2- Ultrasonics (Interior)
3- Bonnet
4- Ignition hot wire attempt
6- Power supply interference

Just to update you on my alarm, after a few false alarms that seemed to be due to the Toyota interference it has been fine for the last 18 months, I had no parts replaced or any adjustments by the dealer.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:16 PM

So a question for all of you...

The factory alarm for the U.S. (at least mine), does not have a shock sensor and all that stuff.

The alarm will only trigger if you open the door or try to start the car.

Are all the Mitsu factory alarms outside the US better than our factory alarm in the states, or did you guys have multiple options for the alarm?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Default UK Standard alarm

Rip14, I was offered no alternatives, but was also given no information on type or how sophisticated the alarm is. Cheers Craig

Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Smile Problem solved (i think)

Thank you to all who contributed, it has been 10 days since my outlander returned from the shop and no sign or sound of alarm going off. What might have caused the problem is a mouse, as we have found evidence that one was in the car, foot mats chewed, baby seat stuffing ripped out and an umbrella ripped. Well we put in some special mouse food and no sign of the animal dead or alive so with the warmer weather he/she just moved on.

Till next time safe and happy driving, Craig

Quick Reply: 2009 Model Factory Fitted Alarm Problems