Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Default 2011 Outlander Brakes

New to the forum and have a quick question

Car is a 2011 Outlander SE 4cyl. 4wd

has the fold up rear seat so it's a 7 passenger

looking at brakes both pads and rotors. Was thinking of going with cross drilled and slotted that I found on ebay, but have a question.

They say that the brakes are different for the 5 passenger and 7 passenger models.

I have done the brakes before and never asked if it's a 5 or 7 passenger model. Just went in the parts store and told them 2011 Outlander 4wd 4cyl and that's it. So question is there really difference for the brakes?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 AM

I have never heard such a thing, perhaps the difference would be in the trim levels? I have an XLS which comes with the third row seat standard and I think the only difference is the size of fuel tank. But a lot of times automakers will use bigger brakes with heavier equipment, like a V6 4WD vs 4cyl FWD. I would call 2 different dealers and get the part #'s for the different models and compare. There are cross reference tables on various auto parts websites too.

Silly question, why would you need cross drilled rotors? Unless you frequently stop from +100 mph or live on a mountain road, they do not heat up that much. And the rear rotors are solid non-vented. I have done mine a couple of times and would recommend using a high quality producer and get their advanced technology, latest n greatest parts for quiet and even braking. I used local auto store cheapies one time and had to throw them out in 9 months from problems with staying parallel giving me pedal vibrations.

Anyhow, hope that helps a bit.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:25 AM

I called the local dealership and they said that the 7 passenger and 5 passenger use different brakes.

As for the cross drilled part. It's just a preference.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jconklin
New to the forum and have a quick question

Car is a 2011 Outlander SE 4cyl. 4wd

has the fold up rear seat so it's a 7 passenger

looking at brakes both pads and rotors. Was thinking of going with cross drilled and slotted that I found on ebay, but have a question.

They say that the brakes are different for the 5 passenger and 7 passenger models.

I have done the brakes before and never asked if it's a 5 or 7 passenger model. Just went in the parts store and told them 2011 Outlander 4wd 4cyl and that's it. So question is there really difference for the brakes?

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS I'm currently using top of the line EBC High Carbon Sport rotors and EBC Greenstuff 7000 pads. Love the difference they have made.

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Performance Brakes | Pads, Rotors, Calipers

Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 AM

okay I am really not happy with the dealerships parts departments around here.

1 tells me there is a difference
1 tells me there is no difference
1 tells me they can't tell me unless I have a vin # for both a 5 passenger and a vin# for a 7 passenger

So three different dealers and three different answers

Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 AM

I'd just order them through the dealer, but they want $574 plus tax for the rotors and pads. No way I am paying that much when I can get high quality preference brakes for less

Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM

I think you are thinking too far into it. I'm at 180k miles,still on OEM rotors and Wagner thermo quiet pads. I can stomp on the brakes and I stop very well and everything flies forward. (Thank you redneck pickup for pulling out in front of me on the highway for educating me on this fact)

Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I think you are thinking too far into it. I'm at 180k miles,still on OEM rotors and Wagner thermo quiet pads. I can stomp on the brakes and I stop very well and everything flies forward. (Thank you redneck pickup for pulling out in front of me on the highway for educating me on this fact)
Well the brakes are grinding and pads are very low and rotors have grooves in them. So how can I be over thinking it?

Getting different answers from not only the parts store, but from the dealerships as well. I can't believe that even the dealers can't give me a direct answer. Just want to make sure I get correct fitting brakes.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:36 AM

Have you gotten the rotors measured to see if they can be turned at a shop? OEM rotors are very good. There will also be an underlying issue causing the grooves. Ensure slide pins are properly greased, else that will cause grooves. My OEMs lasted till about 175 when a tire shop noticed one inner surface was grooved. I had never greased them, only pad slaps....learned a lesson there. I was able to turn them to minimum specs with little remnants of the grooves. Turning costs about 25 a rotor and new brakes about $50...works good as new.