Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Got it last week, about 500 mi so far, average is 22mpg, around Los Angeles, about 50/50 streets/highways, about the same as my old sedan. I like it, it teaches you to drive for better mileage, not sure what to do to improve it tho. Also, hope that they will make an Outlander Sport section here, thanks.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:18 PM

I find that it takes a very light approach to using the gas peddle to get decent mileage with our 07 Outlander LS. Just a few full throttle merges onto the typical NJ highway and my average mileage is in the 17 mpg range. I love that the Outlander is capable of accelerating into obnoxious traffic easily even though it is underpowered by today's standards, but it comes at a cost.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM

I just bought a 2011 Outlander sport and only have about 800 miles on it. I noticed that the "Average Miles Per Gallon" that it shows in the dash screen resets its self every so many hours. So there is one thing that would make it seem we are not getting good gas mileage. The second mistake mitsubishi made was when you are at a stop or leaving the car in idle will make the MPG drop. The instant MPG bar will read 0 mpg and that will effect your average miles per gallon. The computer on the vehicle thinks you are getting 0 mpg while at a stop.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM

The highest I have seen in my Outlander Sport is 25 MPG even and thats on highway with only 800 miles

Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 AM

@OutlanderSport-I get the same thing but you ARE doing 0mpg when in idle mode and that DOES affect your mileage, as it should. Frequent stops are driving your mileage down. Best mileage I get on the freeway driving 50-60MPH, but that adds up with my street mileage so to total average is around 22mpg, which is what I expected anyway and it's OK for me, like the car

Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 PM

My third fill up gave me 23mpg, about 50% city/ 50% highway. Not sure whether a different grade will show better mileage, but I'm going to start testing it after my car hits 1000 miles. It's been almost a month and I've put on around 700 miles.

When you're stopped you really are getting 0mpg for the duration of the stop. You could stay parked with the engine running and burn a whole gallon and your average is 0mpg because you haven't moved.

That's why hybrids have high mpg - their engines turn off during stops, giving much higher averages.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM

I have the 2011 Outlander Sport and we get all kinds of different mileage. If we stay on interstates, we average 30-33. Stop and go is pretty bad as expected with any vehicle.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jrdbrn
I have the 2011 Outlander Sport and we get all kinds of different mileage. If we stay on interstates, we average 30-33. Stop and go is pretty bad as expected with any vehicle.
Do you have a front-wheel drive model? Is it manual? I've tried driving on flat-ish sections here and my AWC model has not given me more than 24.5 on the computer display on the freeway at 65mph, 2wd mode, no congestion driving. I even used cruise control to avoid any discrepancies caused by my lead foot.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ProcessorHog
Do you have a front-wheel drive model? Is it manual? I've tried driving on flat-ish sections here and my AWC model has not given me more than 24.5 on the computer display on the freeway at 65mph, 2wd mode, no congestion driving. I even used cruise control to avoid any discrepancies caused by my lead foot.
I do not have Outlander Sport but a 2009 Outlander with 2.4l AWD and I can tell you that on flat straightaway highways (NJ) in 2WD mode I can hit 28/29 MPG at constant 60/65MPH speed. One trick to it all is that if you are cruising on highway, its important to know at which RPM the Outlander becomes less efficient, basically its all about feeling out the gas pedal as it is rather sensitive (at least the onboard computer MPG can vary drastically). And considering that Outlander is a heavier car than Outlander Sport, either something is wrong with your Outlander Sport or maybe its the way you drive.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 AM

FWD Auto... It's the 2011 Sport. Driving at 50 is actually the optimal speed I find. At 65, it drops to about 26-28. 50, which is the limit around here, gets around 32-33.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?