Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2012 Outlander CVT fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:41 AM

glad i found this thread sounds like i was about to do it all wrong. sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help! looksl ike i have about 8qt of lube to return!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
The 2qt drain/fill was what I got the first time I had my transmission fluid "changed" at the stealership. After it was done, I asked them if they changed it all or just some of it...since it said 2qt. They said drain/fill. So for very similar cost, I can either have them change out 2qt or I can buy the fluid myself to "flush" it all out. I asked them if they do change it all out, they could, but the price would reflect all 8qts of fluid plus an hour of labor.

The service manual also states a drain/fill changes out 2.1qt.

Changing out the t-case and rear diff only takes 1 qt of gear lube.
Two quarts? My impression was when I went to the dealership was that the drain and fill was four quarts. I went to the dealership because of advice that use of non-Mitsubishi fluids would lead to trouble, but based on marioweldinginc's post I'm not so sure. Anyone else use the Valvoline product?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Isophorone
Two quarts? My impression was when I went to the dealership was that the drain and fill was four quarts. I went to the dealership because of advice that use of non-Mitsubishi fluids would lead to trouble, but based on marioweldinginc's post I'm not so sure. Anyone else use the Valvoline product?
I can't tell what transmission you have. I stated that was for my transmission, which is ATF...and that was only brought up as JRK possibly was confusing procedures between the two types of transmissions.

I believe there is a 2011 service manual out there for the CVT that would tell for sure what the drain/fill on a CVT would be.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM

mine is a 2010 with a CVT trans

Old 12-01-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I can't tell what transmission you have. I stated that was for my transmission, which is ATF...and that was only brought up as JRK possibly was confusing procedures between the two types of transmissions.

I believe there is a 2011 service manual out there for the CVT that would tell for sure what the drain/fill on a CVT would be.
Sorry, I should have specified. I have the 2011 Outlander ES 4 cylinder with CVT.

So based on this discussion, If someone were to use the AMSoil or Valvoline CVT fluids that are supposedly certified for the Mitsubishi CVT, how long would it be before one would sense that something went wrong (assuming something did go wrong)?

Right now I think I will stay with the dealer as long as my vehicle is under warranty.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM

so has anyone done the CVT trans swap themselves? i just need to know if it has to be drained and filled or the cooler method like the AT trans. ill do pics and full write up when i do mine as well

Old 12-04-2014, 11:23 AM

...here's your part of the service manual. http://faq.out-club.ru/download/outl...009500-23A.pdf Page 23A-140.
you get to do a straight drain/fill, takes about 6qt.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:22 PM

thank you so much

Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JRK5892
thank you so much
So how did it go?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 AM

went great actually... was just as simple as draining the oil, 4.89 qt came out, the fluid that came out was actually really really clean. it took 5qt to fill back up, smooth shift, better MPG, all around nice. much easier than i was expecting. i think next time i will still drain at the cooler as well to get that last qt out of there, but i saw how clean the fluid was in there this time and i was not to worried. thanks for all your help

Quick Reply: 2012 Outlander CVT fluid change