Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2012 XLS; rearview mirror vs MMCS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Default 2012 XLS; rearview mirror vs MMCS?

G'day all, just picked up a 2012 Outlander XLS (Australia, so maybe Japanese spec?), which is a bit different from most setups that seem to be here; it is an upspec model with rear camera etc., but has the single CD stereo rather than the MMCS, with the camera displaying in the stock rearview mirror.

Oh, as an intro, I've come from an '03 Magna stationwagon, and prior to that a '94 Magna stationwagon, and have a fair amount of experience retrofitting various parts and electronics; eg. converted the '94 from manual window winders to electric, using stock hardware but fitting my own wiring looms (only got around to doing the front before trading it in for the '03)

I've downloaded the service manual, but it must be a bit earlier as it doesn't mention the rearview display system at all, everything is displayed via the MMCS. I guess my first question is, does anyone know whether it's essentially the same system/wiring, just with video going to the mirror instead?
My thought is that maybe I can hook in a forward camera (manually switched) for nose-in parking, and/or a backseat camera so we can see what our 3yo son is up to without having to twist around in the seat?

I've found the stray AV wires at the back of the centre console but don't want to try hooking into them for testing until I have some more info.

PS. Is there anywhere that does a comparison of the various international models/specs, so I know who's talking about what? I get the impression that some Outlanders talked about here are more the equivalent of an ASX in Aus? (more compact?)