Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2013 Outlander stereo head unit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:36 AM
Default 2013 Outlander stereo head unit upgrade

I've replaced the double din head unit on our 2013 (ZJ) Outlander, the story is on my blog

The (Electronics) Engineers Shed | Australian-centric electronics site

it includes hands free, microphones, using the Mitsubishi rear camera, steering wheel controls, reverse sensing and handbrake sensing plus a lot of other stuff.

I hope it's of use to all those who were/are as frustrated as me with this job!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:00 AM

Thanks for this howto.

Over here in the "old world" most of the Outlander are delivered with the RF Sound System having an amplifier installed under the passengers seat.
Unfortunately the amplifier gets its wake up from the head unit making it impossible to install any aftermarket radio directly.

Maybe someone in Downunder did find a solution for that problem?!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:35 AM

Hello!
Augusto and'm living in Brazil!
I installed a Pioneer audio system and video and not lose the option of steering wheel control, installed a device interface!
FT-SW-WIRE - Faaftech ::..
Works great!
If anybody is interested in getting this item can come in direct contact with the manufacturer.
Ate more.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by aargee
I've replaced the double din head unit on our 2013 (ZJ) Outlander, the story is on my blog

The (Electronics) Engineers Shed | Australian-centric electronics site

it includes hands free, microphones, using the Mitsubishi rear camera, steering wheel controls, reverse sensing and handbrake sensing plus a lot of other stuff.

I hope it's of use to all those who were/are as frustrated as me with this job!

I loved this post and it has served as a great guide so far for me.
I am planning to replace the stock unit in my Outlander 2014 ZJ aka My14.5
My only complaint with the guide was it lacked some pictures of exactly what you were saying in regards to pulling the car apart.
For those that want to see some more pictures:
Index of /car

I still need to work out exactly how I will pull apart things to feed the Mic to the top and get the DAB antenna in somewhere.

I recently purchased one of these Connects2 CTKMT09:
Connects 2 Car Audio Systems, Car Stereo, Car Radio DAB Stereos, Car interface adapters and accessories > ProductInformation
AKA:
CTKMT09 Mitsubishi Outlander 2013 Onward Double DIN Stalk Adaptor Fascia Package | eBay

It gives the fascia kit and also the steering wheel harness.
It claims to support the phone buttons on the steering wheel. Also gives reverse gear, park brake and speed pulse(that is the 3 extra leads).
http://www.connects2.com/ProductInfo...8&p=CTSMT008.2
http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/...CTSMT008.2.pdf

Aerpro claim to have similar products:
FP8099 Mitsubishi outlander 10/2012- | Aerpro Vehicle Specific
CHMB3C Control harness type c | Aerpro Vehicle Specific
But even as an Australian I struggled to find somewhere to buy the parts at a reasonable price so instead went with the Connects2 product.

I built the voltage regulator as described by aargee on his website. I have tested it with a 12v DC plugpack and it gives me 6.75V.
My fabrication skills are horrid and it looks horrible but works!

Now I am just torn on if I buy a AVH-X3600DAB as suggested (~$480):
AVH-X3600DAB CD/DVD Tuner with 6.1" touchscreen, DAB+ Digital Radio, Bluetooth, iPod/iPhone and Android control, USB/Aux, AppRadio Mode and MirrorLink-ready. - Pioneer Car DVD Player, Screens

Or if I cough up for a AVIC-F60DAB(~$2000 but appear not available in Aus just yet):
AVIC-F60DAB High-end 2 DIN Car CD,DVD, GPS Navigation System with Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, 7

Or settle for even a AVIC-F960DAB(~$1700):
AVIC-F960DAB High-end 2 DIN Car CD,DVD, GPS Navigation System with Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, 6.1

In the near future I hope to have purchased the head unit and have it installed.

Last edited by bits; 09-06-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 AM

Oh I also wondered if I should connect the reverse camera to my reverse 12v or my accessory 12v (via 6.8V voltage regulator).
Reverse 12v means the camera would only be available while in reverse and may also slightly lag the video signal coming through.
Accessory 12v would mean I could switch to the reverse camera even without reverse gear. I think I am leaning towards this.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:18 AM

Also just found CAM-MT1-RT, Outlander OEM camera retention lead
Connects 2 Car Audio Systems, Car Stereo, Car Radio DAB Stereos, Car interface adapters and accessories > ProductInformation

I am confused if the bottom right black thing is a connector.
If it is surely it should connect to a voltage regulator, where is this voltage regulator part with suiting connector?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Yes, there is a lack of photographs on my webpage, but you got there in the end.

The mic cable runs across under the steering wheel and up the pillar. Pull the rubber door trim away and the beige pillar covers will pull off, they are just clipped in. Careful around the curtain airbags.

Some of those Connect 2 descriptions are a bit wrong I think. The harness one about "maintaining time and temperature"? The temp controls are not affected at all and the time is purely inside the head unit itself. And the camera harness does not appear to have the voltage regulator, so it might get the lower voltage by using a resistor in the power line, not the best but it would work. The bit about keeping the guidelines? That is generated in the old head unit which is being removed. I can't see any circuitry there that's adding them back. Unless that is not really a photo of the actual harness.

My Cam is connected to the accessory power. My Pioneer unit lets you see the reverse camera at any time, this is good when you're towing. The reverse cam video quality on the Pioneer is much better than the old head unit.

If anyone knows how the get the steering wheel phone controls to work with a Pioneer, let me know. Apparently the Pioneer's just don't support that though.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by aargee
Some of those Connect 2 descriptions are a bit wrong I think.
Yea I think the site has a whole bunch of copy/paste errors
I believe the main harness pins out speakers, battery, accessory, ground, illumination; and then uses CANBUS controller to pin out reverse gear, park brake and speed pulse.

I also saw the on screen guides listed which must also be a copy/paste error.
I am struggling to find anyone stocking the lead that would ship it to Australia. Disappointing as I would love to use the lead instead of hacking up my own solution.

It would be great if you could be more clear about what wires the camera used on C107.
There is 6 wires on the connector, is the following correct from what you saw?:
Red/black - is this just another 12v accessory + ground?
White with black strip grey dot/purple with grey dot - 6.8v power to camera
White with grey dot/grey - This is composite video from camera

Googling Axxess ASWC does show many hits for issues with pickup/hangup buttons with many units.
In particular from units that are using a separate internal module to control the bluetooth. I assume AVH-X do not have a way of sending pickup/hangup command via their remote input to the bluetooth module :/

Old 09-12-2014, 06:27 AM

Pioneer Australias answer to which models would support pickup/hangup Bluetooth commands:

"The only head units that could potentially support the answer and hang up BT operation from the OEM steering wheel controls are the head units with the option to connect to the steering wheel controls without an additional adapter module such as the AVHX5650BTand the AVHX8650BT. Unfortunately the AVH-X3600DAB, AVIC-F60DAB or AVIC-F960DAB do not support connectivity without an adapter. In regards to the AVICF60/960DAB we are investigating the current steering wheel control options on the unit. On another note in order to support the answer and hang up operation via the OEM steering wheel control without an adapter module the car must be supported by the head unit software. Currently not all manufacturers and models are supported and we do not have a comprehensive list of supported cars. Unfortunately this operation requires a bit of trial and error to achieve the best possible connectivity which is not always 100%. Sorry but I cannot fully guarantee this operation."

Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 AM

Bugga, I posted on this forum earlier on how to use the standard camera with a new head unit.

Seems all I need to know is this as posted by bits

It would be great if you could be more clear about what wires the camera used on C107.
There is 6 wires on the connector, is the following correct from what you saw?:
Red/black - is this just another 12v accessory + ground?
White with black strip grey dot/purple with grey dot - 6.8v power to camera
White with grey dot/grey - This is composite video from camera

Quick Reply: 2013 Outlander stereo head unit upgrade