Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2015 OS - cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Question 2015 OS - cup holders

I'm not at all sure this is the right place for my question as most of the posts I'm seeing are for full size Outlanders.

I just purchased a 2015 OS. I'm finding it strange that there is not an insert in the cup holders. They are way too big for anything smaller then a Big Gulp.

Has anyone found a remedy for this?

Old 08-18-2015, 10:53 PM

I think the Outlander and the Sport share a forum.

I have the full sized one and I found the cupholder to be a little too small for some of my cups.

If it were me, I would get a block of styrofoam from a craft store and cut the outside to fit the cup holder than then make it into an O or a C shape the size of your regular cups/can and just friction fit it in there. If you want to get really fancy you could paint it to match so it blended in.

Then if you need to put a big gulp or a slurpee in there you can take it out at any time.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:37 PM

Easy, just start buying big gulps :-)

No, but really the outlander sport is an economy car, gotta cut corners somewhere. It costs nothing to mold the plastic for larger cups and it's better to error on the side of too big, rather than too small. Adding inserts probably costs another $1-$2 per vehicle, if they sell 300k outlander sports globally per year, they save between 300k-600k a year.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
I think the Outlander and the Sport share a forum.

I have the full sized one and I found the cupholder to be a little too small for some of my cups.

If it were me, I would get a block of styrofoam from a craft store and cut the outside to fit the cup holder than then make it into an O or a C shape the size of your regular cups/can and just friction fit it in there. If you want to get really fancy you could paint it to match so it blended in.

Then if you need to put a big gulp or a slurpee in there you can take it out at any time.
Hmmm, that could work. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 08-19-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Easy, just start buying big gulps :-)

No, but really the outlander sport is an economy car, gotta cut corners somewhere. It costs nothing to mold the plastic for larger cups and it's better to error on the side of too big, rather than too small. Adding inserts probably costs another $1-$2 per vehicle, if they sell 300k outlander sports globally per year, they save between 300k-600k a year.
It's a shame. It wouldn't have been anything I'd notice at a dealership. First morning out, travel cup full of hot coffee. No way was I letting it wobble around. Ended up putting it in the no cups cup holder, which ironically it fit perfect in.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:23 PM

In the case of cup holders it's easy to make the hole smaller (foam, wood block, plastic, whatever materials you are familiar with). Trying to make a small cup holder bigger is another story however :P

I have some nice foam I got some electronics and things shipped in that I have used in the past to make spaces smaller and things fit.

What's a no cups cup holder?

Does the OS have the pop out cup holder on the dash near the driver door like it's big brother? (right near the vent) That thing is awesome.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Old 08-19-2015, 09:37 PM

Haha they do make one that makes a smaller cup holder bigger but it looks like it sticks out a whole bunch...

Who woulda thunk such a product existed :P

Old 08-19-2015, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
In the case of cup holders it's easy to make the hole smaller (foam, wood block, plastic, whatever materials you are familiar with). Trying to make a small cup holder bigger is another story however :P

I have some nice foam I got some electronics and things shipped in that I have used in the past to make spaces smaller and things fit.

What's a no cups cup holder?

Does the OS have the pop out cup holder on the dash near the driver door like it's big brother? (right near the vent) That thing is awesome.
There are 2 cup holders in the console back by the arm rest. Then there in a cup holder size hole that has a cup and stray with a no symbol around it. The only thing I can figure is because it's right under the a/c controls or if it spills it is it very close the the shift area.

No pop out cup holders but oh how I wish! 2 things it lacks on: cup cubbys (there are ZERO for the front seat.) and usable cup holders. Ideally I would throw change and whatnot in the no cups cup holder, but for now I keep my sunglasses in it until I can figure out a better place.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:16 PM

My '10 Outlander has the 2 in the center console that take normal sized cups, then it has a change/glasses/phone type area under the climate controls.

It has bottle holders along the front doors at the bottom and one that's flush with the dash that pops out and can hold a cup or a bottle and keeps it in the path of the vent so it can be cooled or heated, it's super awesome and you can put it away after like a cd tray so you don't break it off when you get out :P

I'd be weary of putting a bevvy in the no cup holder area.. They have put ABS computers and other expensive things under the dash in areas like that and it's probably not been made spill proof... Fix the proper cup holder to take your cup size.