Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2015 Outlander es roofrack options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Default 2015 Outlander es roofrack options?

Just picked up my 2015 Outlander ES.. unfortunately my salesman was a moron and couldn't explain anything about the roof rack system. From what I found the ES has a 'fixpoint' roof rack system. I'm having trouble locating cheap options for this system. Can anyone chime in here? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM

The Thule 460 and 460R are made for fixed point mounting with appropriate vehicle specific adapter. Doesnt look like they list one for the 2015 Outlander, which doesn't surprise me.

They didnt list an option for my 2013 Outlander with fixed points. I took a chance, and ordered the adapters for the Outlander Sport and they work perfectly. I think there's a generic fixed point adapter too that may work, but look less refined.

I think the Yakima may be a little cheaper, but you may run into the same problem. There are several other alternative brands, but I dont think you will find one that offers fixed point mounts for the Outlander. Maybe a Honda. They make quality products if you can get them to work. I recently bought a Rockymounts' Euro Pitchfork and it has way better fit and finish than any Thule or Yakima carrier ive ever seen.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. In my endless searching I seemed to have stumbled onto something of interest. The thule aeroblade edge system 7603/7602 with install kit 4030 seems to be what I'm looking for. I want the stream line look, with the bars ending in the actual fixpoint.

This seems to fit my aesthetics that i'm looking for. As the fix point system is not a one-two remove, so I'll most likley leave it on for the long term and want something that doesn't look boxy.

Thanks again, if anyone else has more input on this system, it seems to be the one that's also used for the 2014 outlander.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Not to dissuade you, but the 4030 manual says it works on cars with factory installed rails. Shows a picture clamping to the existing rail as well.

The fit kit I used was 3093, I would almost bet that its the same for the 2014-2015 models.

Neither show they work with the 7603/7602 but I can almost bet that they do since Thule tries to standardize on everything.

I would also say the fixed point systems are easier to remove than you think. Remove the lock (or the blank if you dont have a lock), pop the plastic cover off, then you only have 4 nuts you need to remove and the entire bar and the towers pull right up and off. Look at page 6 of the 3093 manual and you can see how they go together.

Last edited by ckmecha; 09-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:14 PM

Once again thanks for your help. Weird I got the numbers right off thules site? Maybe an e-mail or phone call is order to Thule. This is my first vehicle with roof rack capability, all my other cars I used sit on top style. Want to do this one right. ��

I'll look into the manual you suggested, never had fix point so I really have nothing to go off of, but from what you suggested seems easy enough.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Hit google for a local Thule or Yakima dealer. The Thule Aeroblades or Yakima Whispbars are both really good (quiet). As someone mentioned above, I'm sure the mounts from another vehicle will fit; a good local dealer will test fit the clips for you.

What do you plan on carrying? I have lots of suggestions for bike carriers if you are looking for advice just lmk.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM

The majority of the hauling will be 2 12 foot Kayaks, have two sets of J bars right now from a previous roof rack on the old car. In the winter I wouldn't mind a snowboard rack.

Also, down the road, I will be hauling up to 4 bikes.. Haven't looked into bike racks yet. Plan to have a hitch down the road and get a plug in hitch bike rack, but I digress; that's a whole other topic.