Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander - Official

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Default 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander - Official

Looks nicer then I expected.

From the press release:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) today unveiled the new 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander seven-passenger crossover at the 2015 New York International Auto Show. The 2016 Outlander is the first Mitsubishi production vehicle to showcase the brand's new design language. The 2016 Outlander is not just a cosmetic "refreshing," however, and features an unprecedented number of important engineering and design improvements that increase the level of refinement and overall driving experience. The 2016 Outlander is a segment-leading vehicle that will appeal to buyers wanting value, quality and safety.

26 pictures and full press release

Old 04-02-2015, 03:07 PM

I had been trying to stay close to an internet device for the big reveal. During the official reveal, I was at lunch and did not want to appear rude by checking my phone to see the 2016 Outlander.

That being stated, I too find the design to be a bit better than I expected. I like that this a traditionally styled CUV. It does not contain crazy, swoopy lines or a disappearing roofline (not a fan of that fad). I just wish we had access to pics of the interior, however.

I am looking forward to test driving the 2016 Outlander after it is launched. My only concern is that it may give up some of that sportiness in ride and handling that my 2012 GT has for the more traditional, refined feel. Of course, this type of ride will appeal to the broader masses and (hopefully) help continue to boost the Outlander's sales.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by BlueMitsu; 04-02-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:01 PM

Also looking forward to interior pictures and very interested in the powertrain options.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by firebuck
very interested in the powertrain options.
I am with you, firebuck. This is one area I can see Mitsubishi getting hammered by the auto critics. They (Mitsubishi) are off to a great start in markets outside NA where the PHEV is available. I know it is on its way to NA, but can't get here soon enough! The 2.4L gas engine is underpowered in comparison to the competition and the 3.0 MIVEC is outdated and unrefined compared to the competition (though I still like it in my GT).

I recall a conversation I had with the gentleman who sold my wife and I our 2012 GT, in which he stated (I'm paraphrasing) Mitsubishi attempted to catch some of the magic from the EVO in the GT by offering the S-AWC system and the 6-speed dual clutch transmission. Since that conversation, I have often wondered why a version of the engine in the EVO X was not offered in the GT, even if it was slightly detuned to around 260-270 horsepower. Seeing that many manufacturers are switching to turbo charged four cylinders in lieu of a six for power and efficiency, it makes sense that Mitsubishi rework the engine in the EVO X to accomplish the same tasks. The engine is already there. Not to mention, the corporate emphasis is now on the environment and building more fuel efficient vehicles.

Just my thoughts.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlueMitsu
...and the 3.0 MIVEC is outdated and unrefined compared to the competition (though I still like it in my GT)...
Why do you think that?

Originally Posted by BlueMitsu
I recall a conversation I had with the gentleman who sold my wife and I our 2012 GT, in which he stated (I'm paraphrasing) Mitsubishi attempted to catch some of the magic from the EVO in the GT by offering the S-AWC system and the 6-speed dual clutch transmission...
Surely that was just a sales pitch as the S-AWC is a very different configuration to the EVO and the v6 Outlander auto is torque converter, not dual clutch.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by quadcam
Why do you think that?

Surely that was just a sales pitch as the S-AWC is a very different configuration to the EVO and the v6 Outlander auto is torque converter, not dual clutch.
Oh, absolutely it was a sales pitch! Yes, the S-AWC in the Outlander is a slightly different configuration than that used in the EVO, however, the Outlander GT's S-AWC system is similar. I am sure the salesperson embellished the similarity quite a bit in hopes of getting the sale. Which, of course, he did... even without the story!

Regarding the 3.0 liter V6, as I stated, I do like the engine, however, compared to other V6 engines used in the Outlander's competition, it is noisier and the fuel economy is not rated as high. I will also add that premium fuel is recommended. These three variables arguably hurt Outlander sales (in the U.S.). Unfortunately, Mitsubishi's reputation in the U.S. is less than positive, which could have a much larger impact than the aforementioned.

Again, I like the engine overall. This is our second Outlander... with the V6 nevertheless. Actually, I think the engine and transmission combination work well in this application. One of the reasons why my wife and I like the Outlander is that it is almost the anti-CUV, well, CUV. It feels much sportier than much of its competition. The steering is precise and it is quite lively on its feet. We live in an area with many elevation changes and twisty roads. The Outlander performs very well in this environment!

Thanks for commenting.

Last edited by BlueMitsu; 04-02-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: **Info regarding transmission deleted due to possibly being incorrect**
Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 PM

I honestly don't think the Evo engine would do well in Outlander as a whole. Fuel economy is terrible especially if you drive it the least bit hard. The fact that the Evo weighs more than all but the gt-outlander should not make that much of a differnce as it is only a few hundred pounds. Once you hit boost, where all the power/magic happens economy disappears.
I really fell they would be better off going with a small turbo diesel in the north american outlander. They do offer this in other areas but emissions have been a problem. I am not sure you are correct about the sst transmission in an outlander. As far as I know it is/was only available in Evo's and Ralliarts. My wife has a 2012 Outlander XLS which was equivalebt to the USA GT and it only has a 6 speed transmission. It does have S-awc but not twin clutch. I can tell from the service prices they are not the same as the Evo trans service is probably about 5x that of the Outlander.
Either way it is not important I just hope they improve the drivetrain with this redesign as the exterior does look nice and it would be good to see something positive from Mitsubishi for a change.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:22 PM

firebuck,

Good points regarding the Evo engine. I have often thought that Mitsubishi could use Evo engine as a starting point, but refine or change it to meet the needs of a vehicle like the Outlander, but what you stated makes perfect sense.

Regarding the transmission, I always thought the Sportronic 6-speed was a dual clutch. (I am not a technician and do not work on powertrains, I am more of a software guy ;-)) I may be wrong. It has been referred to as such in a few automotive mags I have read over the years, while at least one I can recall actually stated that it is NOT the dual/twin clutch SST. I remember reading the article in which it stated that the Outlander GT (U.S. spec) used the twin clutch SST, but I believe that statement was crossed out in the actual article. Go figure.

Going back to what you and I originally discussed, yes, updated powertrains would be nice. I for one am tired of reading the negative press. I guess all that matters is that WE like our Mitsubishis.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:26 PM

My wife and I love ours. We have owned 6 in total. Only real complaint is they are usually a little behind in comfort features and a little underpowered. But they usually make up for in actual performance esp. the Suv type. No intent to upset you. Waiting anxiously till the full reveal.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by firebuck
My wife and I love ours. We have owned 6 in total. Only real complaint is they are usually a little behind in comfort features and a little underpowered. But they usually make up for in actual performance esp. the Suv type. No intent to upset you. Waiting anxiously till the full reveal.
No worries. You're not upsetting me at all.

You have owned six Outlanders? I think there should be a plaque, no, a statue, with your name and your wife's name in the factory where the Outlander is produced! Maybe such an homage already exists? Seriously though, that's great.

The topic of replacing our current Outlander has come up a few times (initiated by yours truly) with a new model. It's a tough call. Our Outlander is my wife's daily driver and she really likes it. Aside from an occasional transmission slipping concern, our 2012 has been bulletproof. At least we still have over a year and a half left and 20,000 miles on the factory bumper to bumper warranty, and our concern has been noted during two service appointments, including the 30,000 mile service.

Quick Reply: 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander - Official