Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 Outlander- Economy mode and AWC

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM
Default 2016 Outlander- Economy mode and AWC

Can anybody clear up the different drive modes in the 2016 Outlander?

You have the AWC button modes (AWC ECO, NORMAL, LOCK, SNOW) Which I understand. Then you have the ECO button which I understand. and the drive modes (D, and Ds) which I assume Ds is sport mode?

How do all these play together? For example, if I have it in AWC ECO with the ECO button also active does that mean its more economical than just AWC ECO with no ECO button pushed? Or does NORMAL mode in Ds with no ECO button push give the best performance? Any explanation would be appreciated.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 PM

The eco button relates to the motor. When it's on, the motor has reduced power and tries to hold the cvt in a higher gear to give better gas mileage.

The awc-eco mode is fwd unless it detects a lot of wheel slip then goes awd. Normal is just normal awd. Snow is a more agressive version of normal mode where it kicks in the back tires sooner to help with control. And lock locks the center diff to give max traction. (And should only be used on snow/dirt/ice, never drive around on dry pavement with lock on. You could damage your driveline)

D is standard drive mode where Ds keeps the motor revs high and holds the cvt in a lower gear to improve performance, but also lowers gas mileage.

Hope me that helps.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 15_OS
The eco button relates to the motor. When it's on, the motor has reduced power and tries to hold the cvt in a higher gear to give better gas mileage.

The awc-eco mode is fwd unless it detects a lot of wheel slip then goes awd. Normal is just normal awd. Snow is a more agressive version of normal mode where it kicks in the back tires sooner to help with control. And lock locks the center diff to give max traction. (And should only be used on snow/dirt/ice, never drive around on dry pavement with lock on. You could damage your driveline)

D is standard drive mode where Ds keeps the motor revs high and holds the cvt in a lower gear to improve performance, but also lowers gas mileage.

Hope me that helps.
Thanks, that does help.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:05 PM

Information quoted from: S-AWC | Technology Library | Automobile Technology | Mitsubishi Motors Automobile Manufacturing | MITSUBISHI MOTORS

S-AWC used in Outlander adds Active Yaw Control (AYC), which controls the brakes and power steering to regulate torque split between the left and right wheels, and an Active Front Differential (AFD) * to the 4WD drivetrain. This results in further enhancements in the car's ability to accurately trace the chosen line through corners, in stability in both straight-line driving and lane changing maneuvers and in traction and control on slippery surfaces. The S-AWC drivetrain on the new Outlander offers four modes of operation. AWC ECO feeds torque just to the front wheels under normal circumstances for superior fuel economy while switching to 4WD when slippery surfaces are encountered; NORMAL optimally regulates torque feed to each individual wheel in accordance with driving conditions; SNOW gives optimum traction and handling control when driving over ice, snow or other slippery surfaces; and LOCK delivers the full capabilities of 4WD all-terrain performance. The driver can select any of these modes manually using the Drive Mode Selector located in the center console.