Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 outlander: How to change service reminder from normal to severe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Default 2016 outlander: How to change service reminder from normal to severe?

Hi

I tried to look in the manual but can't seem to find it. I just had my oil changed but I want to change the service reminder from normal to severe. How do I do that?

I accidentally reset the 6th month reminder and it's now on the 12th month. Oops.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:52 PM

there is a sticky that describes how to change the service reminder.
also, disregard time based intervals on oil changes....just go by miles. Oil does not deteriorate that fast over time. Brake fluid will, but not engine oil.

depending on your driving style, your engine, and your commute/activity in general...your change interval can vary. My 3.0L does just fine every 7.5k miles as my commute is mostly interstate for a half hour. I've verified this by a used oil analysis that measures how much life is left in the oil. I did do 5k intervals until I was out of warranty, then moved to 7.5k miles. I'm at 190k miles, I don't drink oil, still use plain 5w20, and as of 160k miles...no major wear materials in the sample.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
also, disregard time based intervals on oil changes....just go by miles. Oil does not deteriorate that fast over time. Brake fluid will, but not engine oil.

depending on your driving style, your engine, and your commute/activity in general...your change interval can vary. My 3.0L does just fine every 7.5k miles as my commute is mostly interstate for a half hour. I've verified this by a used oil analysis that measures how much life is left in the oil. I did do 5k intervals until I was out of warranty, then moved to 7.5k miles. I'm at 190k miles, I don't drink oil, still use plain 5w20, and as of 160k miles...no major wear materials in the sample.
Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm in center city Philadelphia. My commute is 3-5 miles in city traffic. I just did my first oil change at 3,300 miles. I want to change my reminder from normal to severe.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst

Great advice on the fluid deterioration, I'm trying to set mine but I just get the lines going across with no miles or months... going to read that sticky again, hopefully I can figure this out :/

Old 12-06-2016, 10:11 AM

easiest way to reset it is to turn off the reminder...then go back in and set it to what you want.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:36 AM

Haven't tried turning it off (first) yet, I'll give that a go