Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 Outlander SEL DRLs not coming on

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:01 AM

My '16GT is a Canadian model. The LED strip "DRL" lights are enabled and work properly. Indeed is the cats meow and give the outlander a audi-euro type look in the daytime. The LED headlights are also very cool looking at nighttime as well. Again, ill try and get some pics of the lights.

I have a snap on scanner and notice there are a ton of options for programming different modules.

is there a "DRL" light option in your settings menu? (in park, ebrake on with ignition on) some options are programmable through those menu's from the cluster. (on my liquid crystal LCD cluster'ed 2016 GT anyways)

Old 11-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by turbocolts
is there a "DRL" light option in your settings menu? (in park, ebrake on with ignition on) some options are programmable through those menu's from the cluster. (on my liquid crystal LCD cluster'ed 2016 GT anyways)
There is not. It is very weird that they enabled DRL on Canadian model and disabled it on US model.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:39 PM

DRL is mandatory by law to all new vehicles. In the US, it is not, that's why it is not enabled.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:56 AM

I guess we can always turn on the parking lights, with all side markers, and use them as DRL. Are there any problems with this practice?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 PM

Man, I just noticed this the other day. I also saw some conflicting information and assumed the 2016 had DRL's. I am going to look into this a bit. This is a safety feature I want.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Smile Driving lights?

In Canada I heard they are standard. But in the US they are only on the SEL model.or the GT

Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Copper penny
In Canada I heard they are standard. But in the US they are only on the SEL model.or the GT
I have a GT and they are not coming on. Did some poking in the fuse box and i see a fuse installed for DRL but missing a relay. I put in a relay and they still aren't coming on. My dealer is looking into it. They don't seem to know one way or the other. It would be really nice of someone in Canada to take a pic of the engine compartment fusebox to see if anything different in there. That's assuming that is where it is disabled. I can attach a pic of my fusebox if it helps.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:11 PM

It's been a week of dead ends. I called Mitsubishi, they said call the dealer. I called the dealer. The service guy did some asking around and could not get answer as to why they are disabled, but more importantly, how to activate them. He did see that the relay for the DRL did not have connection points, so some modification does have to be done. Can't possibly be hard though, right? Maybe a wire and connection points and a switch? Unlike other modifications, all the bits are there already! Parking lights already work. It's not like adding navigation or FCM.

I called Mitsubishi back and had to fend off their stupid comments like "your model does not come equipped with DRL's". They kept missing the point that I knew all US models don't have them, but other countries do. How do I activate them? She finally said she was going to ask their corporate resources and get back to me in 5 business days.

If you all with 2016 Outlanders want this to gain traction with Mitsubishi, I suggest you all call in and have them look into this. They are not aware that there is a contingent of US owners that actually want this. Of course if you are indifferent to the DRL's and think some of us are making too big of a deal of this, then don't. I simply want to know what needs to be done to get them active. Both the wife and I have had them on our cars for the last several years. I think they are a great safety tool.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 AM

How much does that relay cost? $5? $10? So Mitsubishi disabled that safety feature to save $10. I paid $22,xxx for my Outlander SE. I do not mind if they add $10 to the price.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:52 PM

So the question would be is it even possible to get it working? I could help you to get it to work, but unfortunately it may mean swapping to canadian spec headlights and running a relay or something to control them. The stock DRL's have a module as well as the relay, and a bunch of wiring, systems I have delt with anayways also have a resistor built in (usually used with high beam bulb DRL's which was the norm in Canada on years previous models. The new ones with DRL's obviously don't use the high beam bulbs anymore a use the LED strips.

Do your lights even have a LED strip inside the housing? On my alldata an Mitchell, they only currently provide wiring diagrams up to 2014 for mitsu's so you would have to find a Canadian dealer to find u a 2016 wiring diagram showing you how the DRL system works/wired exactly. If the US housings do have the LED strips then do they have wires and pins on the headlight housing wiring connectors. If the answer is yes, should be fairly easy to wire them to come on anytime IGN is on or something with a relay, but if the wiring, relay, DRL module is missing and the body control module (or whatever sends out the signal to turn them on/off,) is programmed differently, then it's going to be very hard to get them to work without wiring them yourslef

Last edited by turbocolts; 01-26-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Outlander SEL DRLs not coming on