Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Advice Needed on Having Water Pump, Timing Belt, etc. Changed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Default Advice Needed on Having Water Pump, Timing Belt, etc. Changed

Hi Guys,

My water pump on my 2006 Outlander LS (82k miles) is starting to leak, and so I need to have it replaced. I don't feel comfortable doing any timing belt work myself, and so plan on bringing it to a shop. While the water pump is being done, I plan on having the timing belt, balancer belt, and serpentine belt changed. I've read that some people recommend having the timing belt tensioner/actuator, balance shaft tensioner, camshaft belt tensioner, and camshaft belt idler changed at the same time while at it, and was wondering if you guys recommend having these additional items replaced, or if the originals should last me to my next timing belt replacement (hopefully in another 80k to 100k miles)?

Also, do you guys recommend going with all genuine Mitsubishi parts? The mechanic suggested going with an AISIN water pump and with Gates belts; according to him, these are the same parts that Mitsubishi uses. I read on rockauto.com that the Gates timing and balancer belts are "OE Exact", but I'm not sure if that means that they're the exact same as the Mitsubishi belts, or at least the same it terms of quality. If I were to have the timing belt tensioner/actuator changed, I believe that would be an AISIN brand part as well. I'm not sure what brand the balance shaft tensioner, camshaft belt tensioner, and camshaft belt idler would be.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Aisin and Gates are OEM suppliers to major auto manufacturers. I'm not sure if they are the same supplier for your particular mitsubishi, but if major manufacturers trust using them on their assembly lines, they're probably a good part.

Based on the age of your vehicle, i would probably have them replace everything, the tensioners are expensive so that should be judge based on appearance. But i would change the idler pulley for sure.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 PM

Thanks for your response gggplaya, I really appreciate your help.

In that case, I'll go with the AISIN and Gates parts, and with the money I save, I'll just go ahead and have all of the parts replaced to play it safe.

Here's the list of parts that I have so far:
1) More Information for GATES TCK332
2) More Information for GATES T43130
3) More Information for GATES K060744
4) AISIN water pump from mechanic
Do these parts all look ok to you?

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know which company makes the oem water pump, serpentine belt, balance shaft tensioner, camshaft belt tensioner, and camshaft belt idler?

Thanks again!

Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by archersofloaf
Hi Guys,

My water pump on my 2006 Outlander LS (82k miles) is starting to leak, and so I need to have it replaced. I don't feel comfortable doing any timing belt work myself, and so plan on bringing it to a shop. While the water pump is being done, I plan on having the timing belt, balancer belt, and serpentine belt changed. I've read that some people recommend having the timing belt tensioner/actuator, balance shaft tensioner, camshaft belt tensioner, and camshaft belt idler changed at the same time while at it, and was wondering if you guys recommend having these additional items replaced, or if the originals should last me to my next timing belt replacement (hopefully in another 80k to 100k miles)?

Also, do you guys recommend going with all genuine Mitsubishi parts? The mechanic suggested going with an AISIN water pump and with Gates belts; according to him, these are the same parts that Mitsubishi uses. I read on rockauto.com that the Gates timing and balancer belts are "OE Exact", but I'm not sure if that means that they're the exact same as the Mitsubishi belts, or at least the same it terms of quality. If I were to have the timing belt tensioner/actuator changed, I believe that would be an AISIN brand part as well. I'm not sure what brand the balance shaft tensioner, camshaft belt tensioner, and camshaft belt idler would be.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
If you can afford it get them all done. Shop around for good deals at Firestone, Pepboys, Sears they always have coupons.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:28 PM

Yea, those look fine to me.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Thanks Serpentor and gggplaya for your help. I'll go ahead and go with those items then, and will be sure to check out Firestone, Pepboys, and Sears for any deals.

Thanks again!

Old 07-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks Serpentor and gggplaya for your help. I'll go ahead and go with those items then, and will be sure to check out Firestone, Pepboys, and Sears for any deals.

Thanks again!
Hey your welcome! Always shop around you can see which offers each shop has for the month and decide which one is better priced.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:10 AM

Hi Guys,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I have a few follow-up questions that I was hoping to get your input on. It looks like AISIN doesn't make a water pump for my vehicle, and so the mechanic would be using an NPW water pump instead (NPW Water Pump G3000303183NPW: Advance Auto Parts). Alternatively, I could buy my own water pump to supply the mechanic with. I was wondering, do you think I should go with the OEM water pump (which is made by BTK and costs $200), the NPW water pump ($66), a GMB water pump ($40-$70), or some other brand? Also, www.autopartsway.com lists two different models of GMB water pumps for my vehicle (2006 Mitsubishi Outlander GMB Engine Water Pump - AutoPartsWay.com and 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander GMB Engine Water Pump - AutoPartsWay.com); do you know the difference between the two or recommend one over the other? Gates also has a water pump for my vehicle, but I've read that it's made in China and not all that good.

Thanks again!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:36 AM
Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I have a few follow-up questions that I was hoping to get your input on. It looks like AISIN doesn't make a water pump for my vehicle, and so the mechanic would be using an NPW water pump instead (NPW Water Pump G3000303183NPW: Advance Auto Parts). Alternatively, I could buy my own water pump to supply the mechanic with. I was wondering, do you think I should go with the OEM water pump (which is made by BTK and costs $200), the NPW water pump ($66), a GMB water pump ($40-$70), or some other brand? Also, www.autopartsway.com lists two different models of GMB water pumps for my vehicle (2006 Mitsubishi Outlander GMB Engine Water Pump - AutoPartsWay.com and 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander GMB Engine Water Pump - AutoPartsWay.com); do you know the difference between the two or recommend one over the other? Gates also has a water pump for my vehicle, but I've read that it's made in China and not all that good.

Thanks again!
Did you check rockauto.com

Old 07-10-2016, 01:54 PM

Thanks for your response Serpentor. I did check rockauto.com, and was only able to find the following brands: GMB, ACDelco, Airtex, Gates, ITM, Pronto, Beck/Arnley, and Cardone. I've only been able to find the BTK pump at the dealer, or as remanufactured from an auto parts store (I've been told not to get a remanufactured pump though).

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed on Having Water Pump, Timing Belt, etc. Changed