Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket Hitch Installation

I've instaledan aftermarkethiddenhitch ($143+tx)and the Mitsu harness ($122+tx)this weekend on my 2006 LX. No problems at all.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: firstsuv

I've instaledan aftermarkethiddenhitch ($143+tx)and the Mitsu harness ($122+tx)this weekend on my 2006 LX. No problems at all.
Did you say "hidden", I thought that was imposible due to the spare tire? Well show us some pics!

*EDIT* I just realized it was an 06, dammit I got excited for nothing..lol, oh well.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM

That's what you get for having the latest model !

Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
hex

i installed the Curt trailer hitch today. the installation was pretty straight forward. i was able to install the hitch without dropping the muffler. by going this route it took me a little longer than 30 mintues (plus i have a broken scapula so that didn't help any)... closer to an hour actually. anyway, as far as esthetics it's not a very pretty hitch it kinda hangs there in full view [:'(]. i wish the engineers at Mitsu would have relocated the spare tire which would have allowed for a cleaner/hidden hitch. i will attempt to install the wiring harness at a later date.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 PM

Wow, you guys are good. I installed the Curt hitch tonight and I had to go way overboard: jacked up the rear end on jack stands, took off the rear passenger wheel, and removed all 3 hangers to the muffler. The bolts are 17mm and I recommend a long extension for your torque wrench, at least a 6 inch extension.

By far the hardest part was getting the hangers off, but I finally used WD-40 sprayed on the flanges and hangers and this made removing them somewhat easier. After that, no problem. I think the Curt hitch looks good, don't mind if it sticks out a ways. The price can't be beat.

Besides my hitch bike rack, I'm looking for a backup ultrasonic detector that attatches to the hitch (beeps if you're gonna hit something). Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-08-2007, 11:23 AM
hex

rdenis,
i regards to the direct battery connection. will i have to run a wire from the rear wheel well all the way to the engine compartment to connect to the positive lead or is there a positive wire already in the T-connector that i can splice into? if not, how do you recommend running the positive lead through the length of the car?... under the carpet and door trim? and where do you suggest i break through the firewall?

i would like to try and wire the harness today after work.
thanks in advance for you input!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM

The wiring is already there - you can splice into it at both ends.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:25 AM
hex

ORIGINAL: rdenis

The wiring is already there - you can splice into it at both ends.

is that the "big red +12V" wire you refer to in your original picture?? sorry to ask so many questions but i am having a hard time locating the terminal end near the battery. i looked all over for it and even took out the battery tray. no luck. when you said passenger side i assume your vehicle is set up for the steering wheel on the right side (european) not american? but regardless my intuition tells methe terminal end needs to beclose to the battery.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 AM

Us Canadians still drive on the right side, LOL! At the battery side of the connection you first need to find the 4 pin molex connector (it is gray) - this is where the "big red +12V" wire comes to - at this point the 4 pin molex connecotr is taped to another wire between the battery and the driver side high beam headlight.

You may or may not be able to see it depending on how they have taped it up - I have"freed" it in the following picture:

Name:  19Conenctorlocation-1.jpg
Views: 3778
Size:  47.1 KB

Note - the 4 pin connector only has one wire going into it - the wire which runs to the rear wheel well for the trailer wiring harness.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:17 PM
hex

yup! i found it. it was hidden WAAAAAY under the driver's side headlight taped up with black electrical tape. i still had to remove the battery to get to it and free it up so i could connect it to the battery. the battery BTW has a nice 4-pole lead comming from the terminal which one of the poles is empty and can be used to make the connection. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

i almost forgot to mention that disconnecting the battery terminal zeros both your trip odometers, radio station presets, and clock. no biggie but something i was not expecting until i jumped in the car and noticed i had driven 0.0 miles since my last fill-up. doh!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE