Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

air springs on rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by sthughes
Thanks Rene,
I've just got some for my MY09 Outlander and am hoping to fit them this weekend, so I'm glad to know they work! What pressures do you find work with 5 adults on board?

BTW - Here in Aus if you can get them at all they retail for about $350 USD!! So I ended up getting mine from the US via a freight forwarder for around $200 USD. You guys have it so good with prices
Hi mate
Where did you get your air springs from? Getting LPG on my 2.4 09 Outlander this week and want to stiffen it as I also tow a van.
Thanks

Old 05-28-2010, 03:20 AM

Mine came from here http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....ducts_id=6399/. They were pretty slow posting it.
I used "Price USA" to forward it. www.priceusa.com.au They were quite good and communicate very well.

Last edited by sthughes; 05-28-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:08 AM

Have you installed it on your car? How was it? I was thinking of buying that particular air spring but I want to know more feedback first.

Last edited by michaelross; 08-09-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 AM

my air bag are installed.

they works great, my rear suspension is less lower with ais bag.

i put around 15 lbs psi in both of them

if you put to much pressure your rear suspension is to stiff.

i try to install them without take off any part.....sorry i cant

i prefer go to a mechanics

i recommand this product

Old 08-08-2010, 10:09 PM

I installed mine and it was somewhat difficult getting enough force on the air spring in the right locations to push them in. You have to start by forcing all the air out of the air spring and closing the air valve to keep it collapsed. The instructions show you how to do this. Then, you have to start pushing it through the a gap in the coil spring near the bottom of the coil spring. As you feed it through the gap in the spring, you have to start forcing the air bag to go up towards the top of the coil spring. You can't use any sharp objects to push on it. The trick that worked for me was to use the handle of my breaker bar to push on it. My breaker bar has a smooth end where the handle is located. I pushed it up through the hole in the bottom of the suspension arm under the coil spring. At the same time, I pushed the air spring in from the side feeding it through a gap in the coil spring. After much pushing and cursing and skinned knuckles, I finally got mine in. The first one took about 40 minutes and the second 10 minutes once I figured out the trick. I had my Outlander on a lift. I work on a Navy base that has a hobby shop for automotive repairs. Getting the Outie up in the air made a big difference. I would not want to do this job on an average set of jack stands.

I love the improved ride. I run with 15psi most of the time and increase it to 30-35 psi with a full load of kids and luggage for family vacation. The improvement with a full load in the Outlander is substantial. I would not want to drive mine without the air springs now that I see the difference.

Last edited by mda185; 08-08-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 PM
tcp
Default Second set

I'd previously installed a set on my van. If you look at the coil spring with the wheel off, there is a much larger space on the first rotation of the coil at the TOP. Just squish the bag to remove as much air as possible and pop the valve through first from the top, then work the rest of the bag in and down from there. worked like a charm for me. A bit of silicone spray on the spring, not the bag, before you start helps a great deal as well. No need to unhook suspension components or kill yourself.

I've been keeping the bags at about 20-22psi to level the outie. Seems a bit high for unloaded weight, but I like the ride. The rear end seems to sag a lot less in 2wd mode and torque steer seems reduced as well.

Originally Posted by mda185
I installed mine and it was somewhat difficult getting enough force on the air spring in the right locations to push them in. You have to start by forcing all the air out of the air spring and closing the air valve to keep it collapsed. The instructions show you how to do this. Then, you have to start pushing it through the a gap in the coil spring near the bottom of the coil spring. As you feed it through the gap in the spring, you have to start forcing the air bag to go up towards the top of the coil spring. You can't use any sharp objects to push on it. The trick that worked for me was to use the handle of my breaker bar to push on it. My breaker bar has a smooth end where the handle is located. I pushed it up through the hole in the bottom of the suspension arm under the coil spring. At the same time, I pushed the air spring in from the side feeding it through a gap in the coil spring. After much pushing and cursing and skinned knuckles, I finally got mine in. The first one took about 40 minutes and the second 10 minutes once I figured out the trick. I had my Outlander on a lift. I work on a Navy base that has a hobby shop for automotive repairs. Getting the Outie up in the air made a big difference. I would not want to do this job on an average set of jack stands.

I love the improved ride. I run with 15psi most of the time and increase it to 30-35 psi with a full load of kids and luggage for family vacation. The improvement with a full load in the Outlander is substantial. I would not want to drive mine without the air springs now that I see the difference.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 PM

Is there any shop in Toronto, Ontario(Scarborough area) that you guys recommend to do this kind of job? Thanks. I got mine online from SDTruckSprings.com for 88.16 USD with free shipping. I had it delivered to my friend's house at Tennessee before we visited him.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by rene
my air bag are installed.

they works great, my rear suspension is less lower with ais bag.

i put around 15 lbs psi in both of them

if you put to much pressure your rear suspension is to stiff.

i try to install them without take off any part.....sorry i cant

i prefer go to a mechanics

i recommand this product

Hi there Rene....How much did you pay your mechanics for the job?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by pilcan
Hi there Rene....How much did you pay your mechanics for the job?
Did he remove the coil spring of your Outie?

Old 09-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Default detail on installation

Yes, the mechanics take off the coil to put the air bag.

it was more easy to put the air bag

i pay around 90 to all the installation

the mechanics put some rubber tubing (over the air tubing) on every sharp conner to prevent air leak

Quick Reply: air springs on rear suspension