Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

air springs on rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by rene
Yes, the mechanics take off the coil to put the air bag.

it was more easy to put the air bag

i pay around 90 to all the installation

the mechanics put some rubber tubing (over the air tubing) on every sharp conner to prevent air leak
My mechanic is charging me for 2-hour job of CAD 180.00 before taxes. I tried installing it myself but it is really hard to do if you don't have the hydraulic lift like the one in the shop. I guess I just have to bring it my mechanic and let him do it. Yeah, he told me that he has to remove the coil spring to install them. Where did he put the air valve?

Old 09-11-2010, 02:53 PM

in this Post
post # 6
first picture....you will see

this picture is one of my 07' outlander

i don't have picture of my 10' outlander

it's the same things

i fix a small piece of aluminium angle (90°) to the 4 pins connector (trailer connector)

i used the same bolt (trailer connector) to hold it

Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 PM

me too, i live in Quebec (canada)

after 2 winter, the rust appear.

i never consider to put rust protection...

maybe i sould do this time

Old 09-21-2010, 01:25 PM

My mechanics had installed the air springs on my 2010 Outie and a big ride improvement is noticeable, much better handling. Maintains at 20 psi each. I recommend this product, it's worth it.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:55 PM

There are a lot of people out there complaining about Outlander rear sag under acceleration or load. My Outlander never drops more than 1 inch even with 3 large people in the back and with the van on. Maybe in Australia they beef them up. There are quite a few differences like we don't have to put up with the Tyre pressure monitoring. Even our standard tow bars are stronger as they are bolted in 8 places.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by callross56
My Outlander never drops more than 1 inch even with 3 large people in the back and with the van on.
Interesting that you find that

I have a 2009 VRX and can feel the rear end bogging down with just a full tank of fuel, let alone with our fibreglass boat behind it

We had a 380 before this (for US people, that is the near equivalent to the Galant) and the 380 was much better for towing than the Outlander - it just wasnt suitable for pulling boats out of the water!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 AM

I forgot to mention that my Outlander is also Duel fuel which adds even more weight but still no problem with sag. My van weighs 1400kg and the Outlander tows like a dream, even better than the ford wagon I had before.
2009 LS 2.4 CVT

Old 06-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Default Removing rear coils to install air bags 07 outie xls

After reading the responses regarding air bags i bought some.

I tried 3 times to install raising the truck and disconnecting the lower strut bolt. when i removed the air from the bag, it flattens out and i can't get into spring.

so i'm wondering about removing rear coils to slide air bags into. Are they under a lot of tension when the frame is lifted? What do i need to take apart to get them out? I am tempted to remove the inside bolt near center of vehicle and drop the lower arm to release the coil.

anyone do this or have any ideas? couldn't find much in download manual!

Thanks

Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 AM

I don't know a lot about car suspension but I was told by a mechanic that you need a special tool to compress the springs in order to get them in and out, as they are under a fair bit of tension all the time. I don't think it's a DIY job unless you have your own spring compressors. I could be wrong though, might be woth just asking a local mechanic.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 AM

When I fitted the airbags to my Outlander all I removed were the wheels and followed the instructions included with the air bags. I used a tyre lever to assist installation after checking there were no sharp edges on it to damage the bags. With a bit of pushing and shoving they eventually went in.

Quick Reply: air springs on rear suspension