Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

All 3 computer modules bad on 2007 Outlander. Repair Est. $3,000-$4,000. Any Advice?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Question All 3 computer modules bad on 2007 Outlander. Repair Est. $3,000-$4,000. Any Advice?

I apologize in advance for the long post. But I wanted to give as much detail as possible so others could reach an informed conclusion.

I purchased this 2007 Outlander LS used in 2009. It's never required any repairs, just routine maintenance. I've been very pleased with the vehicle until now.

Suddenly, without warning, the car failed to crank last week (battery fully charged, many error messages on display). It was towed to the dealership and they said the Etacs computer module was bad and would need to be replaced. The cost would be approximately $1,200 for the repair with a re-manufactured part.

The part was ordered and replaced which now, according to the dealership, allows the vehicle to be diagnosed properly. This could not be done with the bad Etacs module.

And now the diagnosis is that the ECM (main computer) and the other computer module (forgot the correct name...but it's something like SRS or ARS...and it deals with the traction control among other things) are both dead. That means that ALL 3 of the computer modules in the car have to be replaced.

According to the service manager, they have never seen all 3 computer modules go bad at the same time. They have spent over 2 full days trying to further diagnose the cause of the problem. They called in the Mitsubishi representative for an expert opinion. And multiple certified techs have examined the vehicle. They cannot determine why all 3 went bad at the same time. Their best guess is a power surge of some type...possibly lightning. Although their is no sign of damage (e.g. burned wires, loose wires etc.)

A $3,000-$4,000 repair on a vehicle with an approximate trade-in value of $4,500 is a tough pill to swallow. The car is almost totaled at this point (but insurance of course doesn't cover this).

I've tried to logically examine all my options and they all seem bad. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anyone have a similar experience with their Mitsubishi's?
  • Any Mitsubishi technicians want to offer an opinion on this scenario?
  • Should I get a 2nd opinion considering the cost of towing and the fact that before it leaves the dealership the initial Etacs repair will have to be paid in full?
  • Would you ever trust this car again even with a 12/12,000 parts/labor warranty?
  • If they can show damage from a power surge or lightning, would insurance cover it? (I don't recall any storms at the time of failure)
  • How bad would the depreciation on resale be once this huge repair appears on CARFAX? Would I even break even selling it as a private seller?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice or guidance.

Last edited by Flood; 06-11-2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of the computer module
Old 06-11-2016, 12:56 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Flood
I apologize in advance for the long post. But I wanted to give as much detail as possible so others could reach an informed conclusion.

I purchased this 2007 Outlander LS used in 2009. It's never required any repairs, just routine maintenance. I've been very pleased with the vehicle until now.

Suddenly, without warning, the car failed to crank last week (battery fully charged, many error messages on display). It was towed to the dealership and they said the ATAX (sp?) computer module was bad and would need to be replaced. The cost would be approximately $1,200 for the repair with a re-manufactured part.

The part was ordered and replaced which now, according to the dealership, allows the vehicle to be diagnosed properly. This could not be done with the bad ATAX (sp?).

And now the diagnosis is that the ECM (main computer) and the other computer module (forgot the correct name...but it's something like SRS or ARS...and it deals with the traction control among other things) are both dead. That means that ALL 3 of the computer modules in the car have to be replaced.

According to the service manager, they have never seen all 3 computer modules go bad at the same time. They have spent over 2 full days trying to further diagnose the cause of the problem. They called in the Mitsubishi representative for an expert opinion. And multiple certified techs have examined the vehicle. They cannot determine why all 3 went bad at the same time. Their best guess is a power surge of some type...possibly lightning. Although their is no sign of damage (e.g. burned wires, loose wires etc.)

A $3,000-$4,000 repair on a vehicle with an approximate trade-in value of $4,500 is a tough pill to swallow. The car is almost totaled at this point (but insurance of course doesn't cover this).

I've tried to logically examine all my options and they all seem bad. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anyone have a similar experience with their Mitsubishi's?
  • Any Mitsubishi technicians want to offer an opinion on this scenario?
  • Should I get a 2nd opinion considering the cost of towing and the fact that before it leaves the dealership the initial ATAX (sp?) repair will have to be paid in full?
  • Would you ever trust this car again even with a 12/12,000 parts/labor warranty?
  • If they can show damage from a power surge or lightning, would insurance cover it? (I don't recall any storms at the time of failure)
  • How bad would the depreciation on resale be once this huge repair appears on CARFAX? Would I even break even selling it as a private seller?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice or guidance.
I would get a second opinion/price from Firestone or a Pepboys.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
I would get a second opinion/price from Firestone or a Pepboys.
Thank you the suggestion. But I have been lead to believe that only a Mitsubishi dealership can reprogram their proprietary computer modules. If I am wrong, please correct me.

If I was able to drive the car, then I would undoubtedly get a second opinion. However, the car would currently have to be towed and I would have to pay for the initial repair of the Etacs module.

So my fear is that I will pay the $1,200 for the repair and the towing cost, just for the next shop to say they can't help me and only a dealership can offer this repair. Then, I would have to pay to tow it back.

FWIW, after I inquired, the service manager did say he would go to bat for me and try to get sales to give me full trade-in value for my car on a new car purchase. But this could mean that sales just jacks up the new car price to cover the repairs on my car. Plus, I don't really want another Mitsubishi after this ordeal.

Last edited by Flood; 06-11-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-11-2016, 05:44 PM

IMHO///I would just get another vehicle...it sounds like this ordeal is not worth the effort. I would consider the offer from the dealer...it sounds pretty reasonable ..under the circumstances. Don't discount the value and reliablilty of Mitsubishi..the warranty alone is testament to that. Never have I heard of 3 computers going wrong on a vehicle at the same time..very strange. Please let us know how it works out. Best of Luck.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy2013
IMHO///I would just get another vehicle...it sounds like this ordeal is not worth the effort. I would consider the offer from the dealer...it sounds pretty reasonable ..under the circumstances. Don't discount the value and reliablilty of Mitsubishi..the warranty alone is testament to that. Never have I heard of 3 computers going wrong on a vehicle at the same time..very strange. Please let us know how it works out. Best of Luck.
Thanks for your response and input. Yes, this whole situation is "very strange", almost surreal. Even the dealership is baffled.

In all honesty, I've been a proud Mitsubishi owner for over 6 years now. The really unfortunate thing is the ECM is required under federal law to have a 8 yr/80,000 mile warranty. And my car is 9 years old with 80,637 miles.

The 10 yr/ 100,000 mile powertrain warranty is very nice for the original owner. Although, it doesn't apply to my used car though and this repair would still not be covered under that. And yes, I spent today reading the manufacturers warranty from start to finish.

I will definitely explore what the dealer has to offer before making a decision. Also per the advice of a former Mitsubishi technician, I'm going to reach out to Mitsubishi Motors directly to see if they can offer any relief or goodwill due to the severity of the issue and the fact that the vehicle is fairly recently out of warranty (at least for the ECM).

I have a lot to consider but I will update this post when the issue is resolved. Hopefully, it has a happy ending.

Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:00 PM

3 computers going bad simply shouldn't be able to happen, fuses would be blown if there was any kind of surge capable of doing that.

I'm more inclined to think it's a wire harness or CAN bus issue. Did you check around the car to make sure a squirrel or something chewed up a harness?

Old 06-11-2016, 11:00 PM

I hear where you are coming from on this. I took out a 2nd loan against mine to get out from under seme debt. With my miles, I'm technically underwater on it. But it is maintained very well and barring accidents, should last a long time.

In your case, if you put the money in to fix it, you now are a little further sunk on an aging vehicle that may "**** the bed" again. If I were to have it fixed, I'd have some sort of agreement written up and signed that you'd get full trade-in value, plus some extra good will. These dealerships take grandmothers and others to the cleaners...they can gamble on some future work.

If you took them on their offer for a trade-in, my vote would be for another one with the 3.0L. Basically the same engine, which is now proven...and you get some more bells and whistles. You get a vehicle that you won't have to worry about breaking down for a few years.

Third option is to walk away from the car by either selling it off private party or selling to a scrap yard. IMO, a scrap yard may be the best bet. You'll have lots of good parts and known electrical issues that they can immediately get rid of. You then get the car that you want.

Fourth option, pay for your brand new ETACs. Ask for the part numbers of the other parts that are broken. Go to ebay and see if they are available. if you don't like ebay, go to car-parts.com and find nearby salvage yards with similar outlanders...see if you can get modules from them. Even if the stealership has to program them to work, gotta be less than what you quoted.

if you want to do some of the work yourself, PM me and I'll send you a link to the service manual.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:33 AM

If you have the money..or can afford the financing...I would just walk away. IMHO.
I could never trust this vehicle..no matter if they put in brand new parts. It's a 9 year old vehicle...time to get a new one anyhow?...just my opinion. I would personally go with the 2.4 L 4 cylinder with AWC...a good value for the money. Keep in mind the 2.4 is a timing chain motor..no timing belt to change as with the V6...unless you need the extra power. I think you have to weigh the aggravation factor here against the potential gains. I wish you all the best.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:33 PM

I'm doubting it's 3 actual computers going bad. It's something else. But the problem is electrical gremlins take alot of money to fix because you're chasing ghosts until you find the problem.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I hear where you are coming from on this....
Thanks so much for all the suggestions and for the offer of the service manual. This gives me some additional things to ponder. I'll update this post when this is resolved. Hoping for a happy ending.

Originally Posted by Lancerguy2013
If you have the money..or can afford the financing...I would just walk away. IMHO.
I could never trust this vehicle..no matter if they put in brand new parts. It's a 9 year old vehicle...time to get a new one anyhow?...just my opinion. I would personally go with the 2.4 L 4 cylinder with AWC...a good value for the money. Keep in mind the 2.4 is a timing chain motor..no timing belt to change as with the V6...unless you need the extra power. I think you have to weigh the aggravation factor here against the potential gains. I wish you all the best.
Thanks for offering your take on this. I've just assumed the V6 would be better for this midsize SUV. But I've never driven the 4 cylinder model. Plus, spending an extra ~$8,000 for the GT just to stay with the V6 seems like too much of a premium. Guess, I'll just have to check them all out.

Thanks also for the well wishes. I'll update the post once this is resolved.

Originally Posted by gggplaya
I'm doubting it's 3 actual computers going bad. It's something else. But the problem is electrical gremlins take alot of money to fix because you're chasing ghosts until you find the problem.
With this thought, you have perfectly captured what my inner voice is telling me. This would be my biggest concern if I were to have it fixed.

I guess I could try to sell it immediately after having it fixed. But I'm not sure if it's even worth the hassle at this point. I'm afraid I may not break even and the next buyer may just inherit my gremlins.

Thanks so much for offering your opinion. I'll update this post once this has been resolved.

Last edited by Flood; 06-12-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: clarification

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All 3 computer modules bad on 2007 Outlander. Repair Est. $3,000-$4,000. Any Advice?