Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Anyone had a problem with the cup-holder?

Old 12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Unhappy Anyone had a problem with the cup-holder?

I'm talking about the driver's cup holder on the left side located in the dash. The one where you push, and it slides out. Well, I always thought that was a weird design because cup-holders are usually on the center on the car. But Mitsubishi decided to put one on the left side, where you could hit the cup holder when entering or getting off your car when the holder is out.

There are times where I put a drink on it, and go out of the car for something quick, therefore leaving the drink in the holder. When I'm about to jump out from the seat, my right leg hit the bottom of the holder, and push the drink out and onto my lap. This happen twice...

Today, I left another drink there, and the same problem happen, which is my leg hitting the cup holder. But this time, my leg hit the side of the bottom support for the holder, which snap half of the bottom support off...Now I don't have cup holder

I plan to get hard plastic super glue to glue it back and hope it would stay.
Anyone find this a problem?? Anyone actually break this before??

Thank you Mitsubishi for making such handy cup holder for the driver which is in the way of getting in and out of the vehicle. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Well, there are ones in the center and in the door. But the main reason Mitsu decided to put one in the dash was because it is in front of the vent. This way in the summer when the AC is on it keeps your drink cool, and with heat keep your coffee warmer longer. I like it for that.

I use the center console ones usually, so I dont have the problem of leaving something in it and breaking it. And yes, it is a little fragile so it can break easy especially with a direct blow from the knee or something. But I think its made to be pushed in when entering and exiting so that you dont bump it.

Look here: http://www.mitsubishipartspeople.com/
you can look for the exact part that you need

Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM

The only problem with the one in the dash is that it gets the occasional drip of ice cream...but that's because my wife will spill and not get everything cleaned up.

Are you taller than most? I'm 5'11 and haven't had the problem of knocking it with my knees.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:55 PM

I just have glue the support back with some super glue. Seems it would do the job again. But I just want to let everyone know to be careful when exiting the vehicle and watch for the cup holder when is out. It was a stupid mistake I did, and could of been easily avoided.

I'm actually not that tall. I'm only 5'7-8 or so. I also sit some-what far back from the steering wheel.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:09 PM

I have broken this cupholder before. The bottom swing arm cracked in half as I was getting out of the car. I'm 6'4" so my knee always hits it. I was just as angry as you were. When I went in for the next service I told the service manager what happened, fully expecting to pay full freight, but they warrantied it instead. The glue could work for the time being but I suggest that at your next visit to the dealer, tell them kindly what happened and ask what they can do about it.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 PM

I have broken mine too and not yet fixed it! I hit it three times(6'4") with my knees. I will eventually repair but not use it in the future.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jangledang
I have broken this cupholder before. The bottom swing arm cracked in half as I was getting out of the car. I'm 6'4" so my knee always hits it. I was just as angry as you were. When I went in for the next service I told the service manager what happened, fully expecting to pay full freight, but they warrantied it instead. The glue could work for the time being but I suggest that at your next visit to the dealer, tell them kindly what happened and ask what they can do about it.
Did they really covered it by warranty? Really?
I don't think my dealer will even want to go through warranty for me...Last time I went in for warranty work because my seat cover clips were wore and coming off. They told me for that part, the warranty only last for 1 year. So I highly don't think they would go through warranty for me for a cup holder. Warranty for dealership get pay very little. I think they get pay 30% of the actually job done, so many dealer try to avoid it.

I might as well try another Mitsubishi dealership, since I live in a big city, we have a few to chose from. Thanks for the notice though.