Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aux input installation 2010 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Default Aux input installation 2010 Outlander

I just recently bought my first Mitsubishi Outlander and love it. I bought the ES model and it has very little options. There are no aux ports/usb ports that I can see. The radio is the standard single disc cd player radio. When I push the cd button for a few seconds it says "aux" in the display. My question is, is there a way of installing an mp3/aux input so that I could use my Iphone for music purposes? I don't mind doing the work, I just need some help knowing which direction to take. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 PM

If the 2010 is the same as the 09', the stock location is on the back side of the center armrest. Near the bottom there is a little door.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 PM

It flips up from the bottom.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the response. I pulled the backside of the center armrest off and there is no cable back there other than the one that is run for the ac power plug. I also pulled my radio out and took a few pictures. The radio model number is 8701A298. Below you will see the back of the radio with two plugs plus the antenna jack. Some of the plugs do not have every pin slot being used. There was also a few wire run up to an unused larger plug that I am unsure what its purpose it for. Hopefully these pictures can help give some one insight into my situation. The link below will show you the three pictures.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 AM

that jack in the arm rest is for the FUSE system-it would not be there with the base audio system. the wiring "should" be there as Mitsu did/does not use multiple wiring harneses. altho there could be a separate harness from stereo to the arm rest that did not get installed. become friends with a Mitsu pats dept. employee. possibly the harness could be ordered. I do not have that jack in my armrest (2011 GT model ) I added the BT module and have been thinking about spending the $150.00 or so for the aux jack kit, but with the BT, I really don't think its necessary. If you have the phone controls on the steeing wheel, why not go with the BT module? even if you don't the controls could be added. go with BT and foorget about the hard wire, and use your phone for tunes and calls via BT?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 PM

If you want the AUX:

Amazon.com: 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 GENUINE OEM MITSUBISHI LANCER OUTLANDER AUDIO MP3 IPOD ADAPTER CABLE MZ360136EX: Automotive Amazon.com: 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 GENUINE OEM MITSUBISHI LANCER OUTLANDER AUDIO MP3 IPOD ADAPTER CABLE MZ360136EX: Automotive

It is confirmed working with the 2010 Outlander, as seen in one of the customer reviews. It is also the part number that my dealer gave me, MZ360136EX.

I'm going to see if I can bugger my dealer into installing it in the center console for me, haha. But, it is easily installable yourself if you watch some YouTube videos on how to remove the stock radio (to expose the connector housing).

Now, this it the "official" one with the coil box (no idea what it does, but it's that extra box in the wire). There are some non-official ones, but they don't have the box--they are significantly cheaper, though, for maybe $15-20.

--

Why didn't I just splurge on the Bluetooth for $200? Main reason is that Bluetooth music streaming is a little lower quality than straight AUX -> now I have an HTC StereoClip that connects to the AUX; it has higher quality Blueooth (aptX instead of SBC), so I get Bluetooth functionality + AUX-style quality.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...out-aux-33182/
The pie mit-pod will charge your ipod. The mitsubishi oem one doesn't it's just a 3.5mm plug. mtryan 0505's post show how to install one without the aux input. The wires should still be there. If you use the power in the armrest to power the unit you only have to remove the rear panel and the the panel in step one. If you have an older ipod you need an adapter like this or it won't charge.
Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories

Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ikjadoon
If you want the AUX:

Amazon.com: 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 GENUINE OEM MITSUBISHI LANCER OUTLANDER AUDIO MP3 IPOD ADAPTER CABLE MZ360136EX: Automotive

It is confirmed working with the 2010 Outlander, as seen in one of the customer reviews. It is also the part number that my dealer gave me, MZ360136EX.
Well, maybe not. I opened mine up and tried putting this cable in and, unlike what the manual says, there aren't enough free connectors. I did a little research and I think we are out of luck:

The cable will work from 2007 -> 2009 Outlanders. In 2010, Mitsubishi transitioned to the new FUSE system. Thus, all trim levels of the 2010, even those without FUSE like the ES, use the FUSE-type radio. Unfortunately, the FUSE-type radio does not have an AUX input like the older models did, as can be seen here: Second Generation Outlander Stereo Wiring - Mitsubishi Wiki

Look at C-16/C-17 ("2010+"). It has the same wire colors and locations as both the picture you posted and what I saw in my 2010 Outlander ES, making it a probable fit. And, as can be seen from the pin-out description, none of those pins are for AUX.

If you scroll up to C-14/C-15 (the one used pre-2010), it has the right pins for the above AUX cable.

1) I don't know how this dealer called this compatible with 2010 Outlanders
2) I don't know how that reviewer got it hooked up and working. I'm presuming they made a typo: 2009 instead of 2010.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ikjadoon
Well, maybe not. I opened mine up and tried putting this cable in and, unlike what the manual says, there aren't enough free connectors. I did a little research and I think we are out of luck:

The cable will work from 2007 -> 2009 Outlanders. In 2010, Mitsubishi transitioned to the new FUSE system. Thus, all trim levels of the 2010, even those without FUSE like the ES, use the FUSE-type radio. Unfortunately, the FUSE-type radio does not have an AUX input like the older models did, as can be seen here: Second Generation Outlander Stereo Wiring - Mitsubishi Wiki

Look at C-16/C-17 ("2010+"). It has the same wire colors and locations as both the picture you posted and what I saw in my 2010 Outlander ES, making it a probable fit. And, as can be seen from the pin-out description, none of those pins are for AUX.

If you scroll up to C-14/C-15 (the one used pre-2010), it has the right pins for the above AUX cable.

1) I don't know how this dealer called this compatible with 2010 Outlanders
2) I don't know how that reviewer got it hooked up and working. I'm presuming they made a typo: 2009 instead of 2010.
EDIT: NEVER MIND, it works!!! I was stupidly trying to fit it in the 20-pin harness. It, as the manual clearly said, goes in the 18-pin harness.

So, yes: you can hookup an AUX cable to a 2010 radio with the above mentioned cable.

Works like a charm!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Angry

I have read the above thread as I wanted to carry out a similar install on my 2007 Outlander it only has a basic 6 CD changer and I really wanted iPod connectivity.
I managed to get the MZ360136Ex kit from my Mitsi dealer and carried the install as per the instruction that came with the kit. This involves putting the red/white and black wires in the 18 pin plug. Mine only had three wires anyway so this was easily done. However it wont work. Head unit selects Aux ok but no sound.... Have I had a blonde moment!
Car is a New Zealand new XLS

I have attached a picture of the plugs in the back of the head unit and the model number

Attached Thumbnails Aux input installation 2010 Outlander-001.jpg   Aux input installation 2010 Outlander-002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Aux input installation 2010 Outlander