Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

AWC & S-AWC Explaination

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:54 PM

I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answer to.

1. Is the AWC system in play, even when in 2 wheel drive? (with the front wheels only, obviously.)
2. Based on this thread - could I get a little more clarification on the AWC vs 4wD terminology? On my car's sale-sheet it says AWC, but the car says 2wd / 4wd / Lock. (Also says 4WD on the tailgate.)
3. Also mentioned in this thread is that the "Sport/RVR" has a less sophistaced system than the other trim levels - Huh?

A little confused here - if I'm missing something - apologies.
Thanks in advance for any insight.
For reference: my vehicle is a 2013 Outlander SE.

Last edited by The Silent Seed; 07-14-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:42 PM

1. In 2WD mode your ride is FWD. That's it. Rear axle won't be involved no matter what.
2. Mitsu's AWC actually means FWD based drive with rear axle connected through ECC (electronically controlled coupling). In 2WD mode no torque sent to rear wheels, on 4WD Auto the torque is sent on demand, in 4WD Lock the amount of torque sent to rear is maximal.
3. Not really. Outlander Sport/RVR has same AWD system as your Outlander SE. There are 3 drive options possible for non-PHEVs:
- FWD
- AWC (the one you have)
- S-AWC (Outlander GT/XLS)

The latter has Active Front Differential and does not have 2WD mode, it is superior among the all AWD systems on non-PHEV Outlander/Sport/RVR

Old 07-19-2016, 06:53 AM

Thank you, Vadimus. I appreciate the response.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:19 AM

I have a 2015 Outlander SE ( AWC) I drive it in 4WD auto all the time...it handles really well...I like the feeling of the way it tracks..none of that nasty torque steer you get when you really step on the gas in a FWD car.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:32 PM

I wasn't sure I would be even able to do that - does it do any damage in the long term? What about mpg?
I know what you mean by the torque - from time to time, mine will blast forward, pulling - just like an old school turbo.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 PM

AFAIK..it won't damage anything..there is no mention in the manual of NOT using 4WD auto all the time...only that using 4WD Lock on dry pavement will increase noise. I've been driving it like that since the first month I've owned it....I have 59,000 KM on it now. I regularly get around 30 + miles to the gallon mostly highway. Perhaps Vadimus or another member may be able to weigh in.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:42 PM

That's good to know - thanks! I am surprised the mpg isn't affected much, if at all.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:56 PM

It doesn't seem to...and the tire wear is good as well..nice and even..I rotate them regularly. I only use the Lock Mode when it's really slippery..and with winter tires..these cars are very stable in the snow.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
I wasn't sure I would be even able to do that - does it do any damage in the long term? What about mpg?
I know what you mean by the torque - from time to time, mine will blast forward, pulling - just like an old school turbo.
Yes, you can run with 4wd auto all the time, it only transfers 15% to the rear wheels at start, but can transfer more as necessary if you're in the snow or rain. However, i would probably change the rear diff fluid more often due to the wet clutch being used all the time.

4WD lock can also run in dry pavement, but is really only meant for deep snow and off road.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Yes, you can run with 4wd auto all the time, it only transfers 15% to the rear wheels at start, but can transfer more as necessary if you're in the snow or rain. However, i would probably change the rear diff fluid more often due to the wet clutch being used all the time.

4WD lock can also run in dry pavement, but is really only meant for deep snow and off road.
More of an FYI than anything. I've had mine since 30k miles and have always run around in 4WD Auto mode, unless cruising on interstate. I changed rear diff and tcase at 60k miles....was pretty black and gross. at 130k miles, I changed out a rear diff seal and gear oil still looked really good...not quite honey, but close. I'm at 183k miles and not worried at all.

Quick Reply: AWC & S-AWC Explaination