Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

To AWD, or not to AWD, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Default To AWD, or not to AWD, that is the question

Hi, this is my first post.

My wife and I are going to buy an Outlander within the next couple of weeks, but I can't decide between FWD and AWD. I'm attracted to AWD for the usual reasons, but I wonder how much of a maintenance hassle it's going to be over the long haul.

We keep cars until they are all used up. At present we are using a 1992 Honda FWD +studded snows during the winter. We've never been stuck, even though our city has decided to never plow our residential street.

I personally maintain the vehicle. The car hasn't been to the dealership or a service place since about 1997. (And, yes, the car is still in great operating condition!)

After the Outlander powertrain warranty runs out, I will be doing all of the vehicle's maintenance and I wonder how much normal maintenance and money the Outlander AWD system requires and how reliable it will be over say the last half of the vehicle's life.

I'd appreciate any advice from the forum.

Thanks.

Last edited by Outlaander; 04-30-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 AM

From what I've gathered around here the Outlander's AWD system is excellent when well maintained. As for snow I was quite impressed with my Outlander Sport's AWD system, and my previous car was an Audi A4 w/ the Quattro AWD system.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:37 AM

The only extra maintenance I've yet to do over a FWD is changing out the t-case and rear diff fluids. It is easy if you have an oil can like this guy:
http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/532....301077483.jpg
Mine has a rigid spout that I put a piece of vinyl hose on the end. The fill hole is tucked up in there.

I've also had a rear diff oil seal fail, but that was a $5 part from rockauto.

Past that, no issues so far and runs great.

Worst part of this vehicle is changing out the tranny fluid. fluid is stealership only, virtually no aftermarket that I'd use.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I've edited my first post because before editing I said "I'm attracted to FWD for the usual reasons", when I meant to say "AWD".

ccernst, it's good to know that the seal is cheap and doable and fluids are relatively easy replace.

I assume you mean that the tranny fluid is available only at the stealership, but is replaceable DIY. Because I'm an old fart, I'm finding it very difficult to trust CVT beyond the warranty period, so we're going to go LS with its traditional auto trans. I assume that the fluid for that unit will be more available aftermarket, but you would know whether that is true better than I.

Anyway, I'm hoping that some people who have mega-miles on their CVTs and AWD vehicles would tell of their mainenance experiences with both the CVT and the AWD system. I'm wondering about the electronic portion of the AWD system, too -- the selector switch and the electrical components (motors? valves?) that must make the actual AWD drive mechanism transfer-case changes, etc. Is the relatively new S-AWC system as reliable as the "regular" AWC system? If the Outlander actually has them, do the CV boots on the rear of the car tear more or less frequently than those on the front and, when they do have to be replaced, are they easier to replace than the fronts?

Thanks again for educating the bone ignorant.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 PM

The tranny fluid at least can be changed by the home mechanic without too much trouble. Some cars you really can't change out the fluid, or drain out any significant amount to do any good.

The transfer case and rear diff is infact additional reliability. However I think this is under drivetrain warranty? Other than the mechanical parts, there is quite a bit of electronics involved. Especially in the S-AWC version. I suspect if there was ever a AWD error light, you are going to the dealer.

I can tell you the S-AWC is quite good, it hugs the road on the mild turns, on switchbacks and 90 degree turns it doesn't turn as agile, mostly due to the 3,890 lbs weight. When I turned too fast to a hint of understeer the system corrects in about a split second to remove the understeer and distribute the power to other wheels. It's not a sports car by any means but fairly good driving for a vehicle of this size (actually, fun).

Complexity aside I would say go for it, if you have snow, you won't be disappointed. There are alot of videos on you tube which demostrate the S-AWC system , plus actual test drives really steer me towards the S-AWC trim.

(search "Outlander S-AWC", the first couple ones are from Mitsubishi demostration on partial ice)

Old 10-26-2018, 04:35 PM

Do not get a Mitsubishi Outlander awd Electrical problems ever since the day I pulled off the lot worst car I've ever had honestly

Old 10-27-2018, 12:05 AM

Get the AWD and as many extra options and features as you can afford. Trust me you will regret it if you don't. Brad if you have so many issues since day one why didn't you go to lemonlaw.com

Old 11-04-2018, 12:26 PM

I owned a 2015 Outlander AWC...and currently own a 2017 Lancer AWC 2.4...absolutely zero problems with both of these vehicles.I used winter tires for both...great handling in all conditions...I drive a lot and feel very confident in Mitsubishi vehicles.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:34 PM

Maybe it's just my **** luck with cars but mine wasnt bought new so that's the problem I'm sure it's a 04 just wasnt taken care of and I dont think lemon law applies in Florida unfortunately.. maybe the newer ones are better but as far as the 04 I have tie rods snapped axle broke new alternator & battery all within 2 months probably less honestly

Last edited by Brad423; 11-06-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Brad423
Maybe it's just my **** luck with cars but mine wasnt bought new so that's the problem I'm sure it's a 04 just wasnt taken care of and I dont think lemon law applies in Florida unfortunately.. maybe the newer ones are better but as far as the 04 I have tie rods snapped axle broke new alternator & battery all within 2 months probably less honestly
Sorry to hear that, make sure you always have a trusted mechanic do a full inspection on used cars before you buy them. Sounds like the previous owners destroyed your 04 before you purchased it. Never buy a used vehicle as is either if they won't offer a warranty there is most likely something wrong with it.

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6 Automatic 4WD and have taken very good care of it in regards to maintenance and repairs still going strong, I am going to keep it till the wheels fall off.

​​​

Quick Reply: To AWD, or not to AWD, that is the question