Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Bad shock absorber

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by tdford
Just had an oil change done, and upon inspection I have a leaking LH rear shock. I'm at 95k miles. Has anyone changed theirs? Did you go OEM or aftermarket?

I probably should replace both rears, how much am I looking at. I think the shop quoted $400 including labor.
Not that familiar with your vehicle, but unless they are struts that are bad, $400 for just plain ol shocks is a ripoff. What vehicle are you referring to?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Not that familiar with your vehicle, but unless they are struts that are bad, $400 for just plain ol shocks is a ripoff. What vehicle are you referring to?
This is the Outlander section, so Outlander. My signature says I have a '07.

Yes, I know $4 bills is steep. That's why I'm asking. That price was for replacing both rears with labor. I need to call a few other shops. Mitsu dealer was $420....

The rear shocks were about $140 each OEM, or about $60 each aftermarket depending on brand.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM

My bad, did not look at what section this was posted in, I just try to help out wherever. Rock auto has them for @$40 each. Save your self the labor and replace them yourself.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:42 AM

Alright, so instead of spending $400+ for a shop or dealer to replace the rear shocks I had a friend help me out. It ended up to be way easier of a job then I had thought.

First, the rear shocks are pretty standard. They are not struts, so no special equipment is needed. I went with some KYB shocks and they were a direct replacement. I had bought an assembly kit in case I needed it. But I didn't, and all the bushings and seals were in good shape. I'm at 96k miles right now. Like I mentioned, fairly easy job. If you have a socket set and a jack you can do this.

- the bottom bolt from the control arm needs removed. Pretty easy.

- Inside the rear cargo area, remove the two plastic covers by the wheel well. This gives you access to the nut that holds the assembly. There are two. Once these are undone the shock can be removed from the vehicle.

- Take apart the shock assembly and reassemble with a new shock.

Again, I was surprised that it was fairly easy. It took us a couple hours but we were in no hurry. Shocks cost me about $55 each, I think retail is about $63 or so.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Hi, I got after market shocks and work awesome. If you do any towing I would also recommend getting the AIR LIFT 1000 air shocks helpers. Worth there weight in gold. Like 15 min. install and makes the world of difference for towing.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Mitch3.5XS
Hi, I got after market shocks and work awesome. If you do any towing I would also recommend getting the AIR LIFT 1000 air shocks helpers. Worth there weight in gold. Like 15 min. install and makes the world of difference for towing.
Air Lifts may not be applicable for us. Checked their site, the only Mitsu they have in their database are the Raiders.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:28 AM
Default replace outlander shock help

Originally Posted by tdford
Alright, so instead of spending $400+ for a shop or dealer to replace the rear shocks I had a friend help me out. It ended up to be way easier of a job then I had thought.

First, the rear shocks are pretty standard. They are not struts, so no special equipment is needed. I went with some KYB shocks and they were a direct replacement. I had bought an assembly kit in case I needed it. But I didn't, and all the bushings and seals were in good shape. I'm at 96k miles right now. Like I mentioned, fairly easy job. If you have a socket set and a jack you can do this.

- the bottom bolt from the control arm needs removed. Pretty easy.

- Inside the rear cargo area, remove the two plastic covers by the wheel well. This gives you access to the nut that holds the assembly. There are two. Once these are undone the shock can be removed from the vehicle.

- Take apart the shock assembly and reassemble with a new shock.

Again, I was surprised that it was fairly easy. It took us a couple hours but we were in no hurry. Shocks cost me about $55 each, I think retail is about $63 or so.

HI, can you tell me if the vehicle needs to be jacked up at rear corner to replace rear shock or can it be done with vehicle on the ground? THANKS