Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Bleeding cooling system issue 2.4l

Old 04-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Default Bleeding cooling system issue 2.4l

Hi guys,

I recently tried to replace to coolant in my outlander Xmas 2010 model, after taking out the all the coolant through the radiator drain plug and by disconnecting the lower radiator hose I decided to top up the coolant. When filling up with a premixed coolant I could only get about 3 litres in (less than a gallon for you empirical folk).

Now the manual says it should take about 8 litres so I must have a huge blockage or air leak?

I've ran the car for 5 minutes at 2000rpm to get the thermostat to open but there was no difference. I can't find any air bleeding valves to help me and found nothing on google.

Any thoughts on what I can do? My check engine lights now staying on too so I'm getting worried.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 AM

Small update - the engine light has switched off , it must have come on after I started checking fuses.

I've driver the car for an hour or so and it's not running hot so it's okay so far.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 AM

I'm wondering if you got all the coolant out. Radiator,block and heater core.

When I was a youngster turning wrenches, I'd remove the block drain plug(s) and heater hoses to drain everything.

If the thermostat is opening, coolant is circulating and the heater is blowing hot air, you pretty much are finished with the job.

If you are blowing cold air thru the heater, you are air bound, and loosening the heater hoses while running to bleed the air out is the way to go.

Some cars can use a Tee fitting in one of the heater hoses to back-flush. Not all, though. It has to do with what kind of heater control valve Mitsu uses.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
I'm wondering if you got all the coolant out. Radiator,block and heater core.

When I was a youngster turning wrenches, I'd remove the block drain plug(s) and heater hoses to drain everything.

If the thermostat is opening, coolant is circulating and the heater is blowing hot air, you pretty much are finished with the job.

If you are blowing cold air thru the heater, you are air bound, and loosening the heater hoses while running to bleed the air out is the way to go.

Some cars can use a Tee fitting in one of the heater hoses to back-flush. Not all, though. It has to do with what kind of heater control valve Mitsu uses.

Thanks Milliesdad, the heater works fine. I'm surprised I didnt get all of the coolant out as a lot came out when i flushed it.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Check the coolant level on a regular basis to make sure that air didn't work it's way out and lower the level.

Check when cold at the level indicated on the puke tank.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 PM

I'm now having overheating problems with the car. My wife tried to drive it on the freeway and the warning light came on after 5 or so minutes. when i check the coolant hours later there was only i tiny amount pf coolant to top up in the radiator. The puke tank (reservior) was full.

I tried to get get air out of the system by running the car with the radiator cap off for 5 minutes or so last night and only a small amount of bubbles came up. Am i doing something wrong? I dont think i've missed anything.

I'm really stumped now. any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 AM

Sounds like the air finally went out.

Fill the radiator, and puke tank to the recommended levels and see what happens.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
Sounds like the air finally went out.

Fill the radiator, and puke tank to the recommended levels and see what happens.

I did that and it didnt take much coolant. I decided the pull everything apart and flush out the cooling system. This time I pulled out the thermostat and tested it in boiling water - found out that the thermostat wasn't opening! not sure how long it had been like that

Called around and eventually found a replacement. Its not a direct replacement but hopefully it all works out now.

This time the system took about 5 litres, which is better than last time