Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Brake Caliper Torque Specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Default Brake Caliper Torque Specs

I am going to replace the pads on my 2008 Outlander and would like to know if anyone can tell me what the torque specs are front and rear for the caliper bolt pins. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 PM

If I read the manual right...74 ft-lbs (plus or minus 7 ft-lbs)

This is from installing the hub bolt replacement, page 26-9 of the manual.
Install the brake disc, caliper assembly and tighten the caliper assembly mounting bolts to the specified torque.
Tightening torque: 100 ± 10 N·m (74 ± 7 ft-lb)

Old 08-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mitzubshi1
I am going to replace the pads on my 2008 Outlander and would like to know if anyone can tell me what the torque specs are front and rear for the caliper bolt pins. Thanks in advance.
You're definitely going to want to get the '07 manual available with the sticky topic in the Outlander forum. Gives work instructions for pad replacement.

The hardware that fastens the calipers to the caliper support (bracket) one pin is called a guide, the other a lock. The guide pin has a bushing on the end of it while the lock does not. I have no idea why they are different and I haven't done my brakes yet on my '09 to understand it. Check out the manual for details and instructions in 35A-28.

Caliper slider/guide/lock pins for both the front and rear calipers are:
Tightening torque: 44 ± 5 N·m (32 ± 4 ft-lb)

The mounting brackets for the caliper support to the backing plate are different torques for front and rear. You probably won't have to get to these unless you are removing the rotors too.
Front: 100 ± 10 N·m (74 ± 7 ft-lb)
Rear: 60 ± 5 N·m (45 ± 3 ft-lb)

Be sure to lube the sliders with a proper lube for brakes. Most common cause of brake issues no matter the vehicle.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:56 AM

ah, good catch Nesser

Old 08-27-2010, 11:50 AM

I would like to ask a question about brakes on an 07 Outlander that my wife drives. She has been complaining about a squealing noise in the front end. I thought it was the pads so I replaced them last night. When she was driving to work this moring she said it was still there. Any thoughts?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 AM

Wow... No help...Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 AM

not everyone comes around every day. new topics are usually in new threads.

you might want to check and make sure the rears are working. The adjusters on the drums of my truck were worn away, so when I replaced the pads last, they only worked for a while. Before I put new adjusters in, the fronts were squealing bad since I had no rear brakes and the fronts had to do all the work. They squealed since they were overheated.

did you rough up the rotors to get the old glaze off??

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Flintstone
Wow... No help...Thanks
Sorry, I do fun things on the weekends other than sit in front of a computer since that's my day job.

I can follow instructions from the service manual for basic jobs and have picked up a few things along the way doing service on my vehicles. But I'm not a mechanic so I can't diagnose things - be sure to tell your mechanic the symptom instead of what you think is wrong if you do end up taking it in.

Your description of the problem could literally be anything in the front of the car. There are a lot of parts there - like maybe the belts.

Did you lube or use some "break quiet" the BACK of the pads when you installed them? Lube the clips the pads ride on when squeezed? Lube the caliper sliders?

Check for a rubbing heat shield against the rotor that might chirp. Also seen that on this forum.

Since we volunteer our experience I probably won't be helping you any more. Feel free to lurk around though.

CN

Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the help I will check those items out. Again thanks for your reply