Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Brake fluid/PS fluid change

Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sebba
Of course they did. Why do you think that might be?

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...erience-40320/

Here's the best stuff: Power Steering Fluid « Chris Ness – Amsoil Independent Dealer – Mississauga, Ontario

And here the discussion appears again. Check out ccernst's post on here as well (you're a popular guy! ): What is genuine mitsubishi power steering fluid? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Ultimately the choice is yours, but if it were me, I'd be using ATF.

haha, Yeah, I thought the dealership would be pushing the MISTU brand PSF, but they didn't. THey just said use any PSF. However, he was pretty adamant to NOT use ATF. Since I really don't know the difference between the 2 fluids, and since he wasn't trying to sell the mitsubishi brand, I thought the PSF would be the better.

That AMSOIL is looking like the winner. I just have to go the a city that carries it (I am an hour away from a major centre, and the mitsu dealership)

Oh, and the stupid dealership wanted me to replace all pads and rotors to get rid of that creaking noise. They quoted $800 all in. I am obviously asking around for second opinions lol

Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

Pads and rotors for creaking? Hmmmm, I'd like to see their explanation. You can accomplish that yourself with a couple hundred bucks at your local auto parts store. It's a good Saturday afternoon job in the driveway.

As a rule of thumb, you'll NEVER go wrong with AMSOil products.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

If you want to simulate the creaking, stand on the rocker panel with the door open, and shake the car side to side. Should produce the creaking you speak of.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 AM

So I looked at the PS fluid yesterday. Now it looks dark from the outside looking at the reservoir, but I took a bit out and it looks fairly red and only a small smell to it. I think it's fine.

There is 107,000km on it. Should I change it anyway, even though it isn't brown and smelling burnt? I'm thinking no.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
If you want to simulate the creaking, stand on the rocker panel with the door open, and shake the car side to side. Should produce the creaking you speak of.
Hey,

Nope....doesn't do it. It is something specific to braking. I just lightly apply the brakes (and I mean lightly) and I can start hearing noise - first a scraping at that amount of pressure,and then when it slows down with a little more pressure on the brake, turns into a creaking and/or popping.

haven't had a chance to take it anywhere else yet....BUt it's gotta be something to do with the brakes (at least partially) since the noise when first just so lightly applying the brakes wouldn't be enough to throw the weight enough for the suspension to really move.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Hmmm. Head on over to your auto parts store and pick up brakes all around.