Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Burning rubber smell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Default Burning rubber smell?

OK - I did a search for this topic and found nothing, so the effort was put in.

My question is:

Can the brakes on a 2004 Outlander cause a burning rubber smell? And if so, why?

Backstory: My wife complained of the brakes grinding yesterday, so I took it into the shop this morning. On the way there, along with the grinding, I began to smell some type of burning rubber smell. I looked over the tires when I got out and parked the car and I saw no damage. Any ideas what it could be from?

Thanks,

Johnny

Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Default RE: Burning rubber smell?

Did you touch the rim to see if it was hot? Since you know that you have a break issue, they could also be overheating and transfering that heat to the rim and than the tire!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM

I smell the same thing in my 07, even my wife complained that she could smell burned rubber when I parked in garage, but that onlyhappens if I drive rough

Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 PM
tcp

The seals on the brake pistons are rubber. The hoses are rubber. various sealing boots are rubber. You need to find out which wheel is binding (touch them when you smell this and see which one burns your hand). You then need to find out why it is binding and remedy the problem. Your pads and rotors are going to glaze and you'll need to replace a lot of parts if you don't fix the problem quickly.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Banned

Don't take advice from someone that can't spell brake.

It is probably from overuse of the brakes, is your wife a two footed driver by any chance?

That would also explain the grinding, because when pads get hot, they squeal hardcore.

Also, take a look at the rotors and see if they are blue.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Hey Sebba, I am "two footed" driver btw, but find only advantage in it to myself. (used to drivestandard tranny and hate to have my other foot resting)
I've never had any burning rubber issues rusulting from my habit, neither I have seen any blue rotors even after hard braking and/or extreme driving.
The rotors that turn blue must be special material not commonly used for stock/standard rotors.
I would suggest using infrared thermometer on each tire to monitor temperature and see which one gets hotter. You can get them now for about 70 bucks. Save you hands/fingers since they don't grow back and you only have 2/10.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:01 PM

Also, if you're getting the brakes hot enough to smell bad, you'll also notice a spongey feeling and less braking power. This is pretty common with brand new pads that aren't broken in yet.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 AM

hey,

My wife says she smells rubber/plastic burning when she gets into the car in the morning.... anything to do with this?????

Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 PM

I would start checking ventilation A/C system first in this case. It could well be defective blower motor that burns something, poor wiring orrheostat touching plastics inside duct. Your car should be warrantied, so bug mitsubishi about that.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 PM

Not sure if the case has been closed yet. Just wanted to add some comments. I noticed after a long drive on a hot sunny day when I get out of the car and come to the rear end at passenger sideI can smell some rubber kind of burning.

Quick Reply: Burning rubber smell?