Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 AM
ash
Default Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation

I mentioned on another thread that I had ordered one of these Chinese made replacement Radio Units, so I thought I would start a thread to document how things go.

I ordered the Unit via ebay from Oskaramerica. Having read a few other forums, he seems to have a pretty good reputation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250412145190

It cost me $559.00 plus $67.00 shipping and whatever Customs charge me, which will be duty and UK VAT.

Order was placed on the 23. April 2009. I got an email from the seller on the 30. April, to say that the unit had been shipped and a shipping number was provided. The parcel showed up on the shipping company's website a couple of days later.

Below is where we are up to on the 11. May 2009, as taken from the Shippers website. Hopefully as the last entry is the 8. May, the parcel will be with me soon.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 AM
ash

Box was waiting for me when I got home for lunch today.

I will have a go at fitting it tonight. Hopefully it will be straight forward.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 AM
tcp
Default Well, thank god...

At least it's "OEM for Customerized". I love Engrish.

I haven't had the greatest luck with Chinese knockoffs, so would love to know how this actually works. I had a DVD unit in my Van that wouldn't play some DVDs that worked everywhere else. The menus would work strangely, radio stations would scroll in opposite directions than shown and buttons would do things differently than described. It ceased working after 1.5 years and i didn't shed a tear for it.

Last edited by tcp; 05-11-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM

So where do you actually get map updates for these? It doesn't have a company name on it, so does this mean you're struck with whatever software version you got? $560 is an attractive price, but hopefully you get software updates or at least be able to update your maps. Please post some reviews soon. Might get my wife one of these for her CR-V.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Do you have the rockford fostgate sound system? I would really be interested if you could make it work with the amp. Please post DIY for us.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 PM

@alim

the rockfort must have the Mito-02

look at http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=11020

greets madmex

Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
ash

Well got home a bit earlier than normal and fitted the unit, it was a simple matter of pulling the vents off, unscrewing the existing unit and unplugging the connectors and then plug in the new harness. Switched it on and it worked straight away.

My existing single disc unit.

Head unit off and just four screws to remove this.

New unit plugged in to see if it works and it did.

Unit screwed into place.

Navigation screen loading up. Software supplied is IGO8.

GPS locked onto satelites quickly. The GPS Aerial has a magnet on the back and I just stuck it onto the top of the unit. Still seemed to pick up a signal without a problem

Nice screen as the DVD loads.

The DVD playing.

Hardest job was unscrewing the Hazard Warning button from the original unit and screwing it into the new unit. As you will notice from the photos on the original unit it says 'Passenger Air Bag Off' on one side and 'Passenger' on the other, but on the new unit it just says 'Security' on one side, don't know why.

The display isn't the best in the world and is pretty low resolution, but is okay.

There is no RDS with the radio which is a shame.

Sat Nav software is IGO8, which looks pretty good and seems easy to understand.

Only one button on the steering wheel control seems to work at the moment.

Bluetooth connected to my iphone easily. Haven't made a call on it yet though.

The Ipod connection is on the back, which enables the supplied lead to be fed through to the glove box without any need for holes to be made, so the ipod can stay out of the way in the glovebox and also stay connected to the unit.

Its got a TV, but I haven't got an aerial for it. The TV is analogue, so won't be much use in the UK soon.

The Unit comes with a largeish remote control, which is really to operate the DVD player. The DVD picture is okay.

Don't have the Rockford Sound System in my car.

No doubt I will report back once I have played with it a bit more.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Will the DVD player work while you are in motion? Are the IPod controls easy to use?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
ash

Havent tried the DVD Player while driving, I would be amazed if it didn't work.

The ipod controls are very basic, play next track, previous track.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:41 AM

Wow. It fits really nice. Hope it works well too.

Quick Reply: Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation