Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Clunk or Pop type noise from front suspension 07 Outlander XLS 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Unhappy Clunk or Pop type noise from front suspension 07 Outlander XLS 2WD

I have a 07 outlander XLS 2WD. Recently there is Clunk or Pop type noise from front suspension when I slowly back out from parking space while either turing right or left.
any idea? please help

Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 AM

ABS self check please do a search the subject as been well cover.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 PM

roach, I thought ABS checked only when going forward? Ours has never popped in reverse.

cyber, I think there was a tech bullitin about a bearing or something that would create a pop. your dealer would be able to tell you if yours was affected.

The only other thing I could think of that would pop while turning would be ball joints. I've always been told that if you jack it up: if your hands are at 12 & 6 and the tire wiggles, it is a ball joint; if your hands are at 9 & 3, it is tie rods; if it wiggles in both cases, that'd be a wheel bearing.

Signs of a bad wheel bearing would be an increase in noise or growling in a turn. there, you'd be putting more pressure to a bad part.

Can you determine if it is coming from the left or right of the car?

Do you feel a pop when you hear it? Do you feel it in the pedals, steering wheel, seat?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM

wow i thought i was the only one and I havn't even been at the dealer yet for 3 monthes...

I have the same problem. Everything I reverse out and turn, I can hear a pop or clunk in the front and then another sound when pulling forward which was the abs check. So 2 sounds were heard.

This also happens when I parked backwards and went straight really slow and turn I also hear it.

Where can I find this TSB? mine is a 07 xls.
________
Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by red123; 02-24-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM

thank you ccernst ...
the noise is coming from both side, sometimes right, sometimes left. I only hear the noise but nothing feel in the pedfal steering wheel or seat. It ONLY happen when i back out from parking space or garage in very slow speed .. < 5 mph. my car already services by dealer for the TSB related to the wheel bearing

Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM

here's a link to the TSB for the bearing issue. That might help you.

http://outlander.freeforums.org/tsb-...ension-t4.html

Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 AM

so you aren't going over anything bumpy then?
if you are not moving and move your wheels (try both directions, full articulation), do you hear it?
will it pop if you just back up, no turning of the steering wheel?

service manual goes over lubrication checks, coil spring check, strut assembly check, bushing & "tightened parts" (I'm guessing ball joints & tie rods.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 PM

no .. i did not go over any bumpy things .. the car is moving back while i turn either left or right. but if i did not turn the steering wheel . the pop noise did not occurred.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM

try just turning your wheels while stationary...see if it pops then

Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM

dropped my outlander in the dealer. got call from service dept. and the CV-Joint Boot on both side need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Clunk or Pop type noise from front suspension 07 Outlander XLS 2WD