Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

coolant interval change

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 AM
Default coolant interval change

Hey all,

I have a 2009 outlander v6 4wd with about 140,000KM.

Coolant was changed at 96,000KM as per the schedule. It is now calling for another change at 144000KM. Does this seem quick to you or should I get that done.

Also, mitsubishi changed their maintenance schedule so the one I am following (that came with the vehicle in 2009) no longer exists so now I'm not sure what to do as the service on the mileage check points are quite different.

Also, one other question.

The schedule says to change the auto transmission fluid every 48,000KM (this is not a flush, just a drain) as well as the transfer oil so I do that. Here is where my knowledge fails. It also says check rear axle oil but never says to change it.

Should that be changed as well?

Thanks!
Dave

Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 AM

I changed my t-case at 60k miles with Mobile1 . It was not pretty and I'm glad I did. I'm at 152k miles and I imagine I'll hit 160k miles next year once I start driving it. I checked it around 130k I believe when I did my rear diff output seal, and it still looked decent.

Coolant interval should be in the owner's manual, if you still have it. I changed mined out a few years ago and put in Peak Global Lifetime stuff. I doubt it will actually last "lifetime", but I've been meaning to try out the volt meter test to check coolant.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I changed my t-case at 60k miles with Mobile1 . It was not pretty and I'm glad I did. I'm at 152k miles and I imagine I'll hit 160k miles next year once I start driving it. I checked it around 130k I believe when I did my rear diff output seal, and it still looked decent.

Coolant interval should be in the owner's manual, if you still have it. I changed mined out a few years ago and put in Peak Global Lifetime stuff. I doubt it will actually last "lifetime", but I've been meaning to try out the volt meter test to check coolant.
Yeah, the coolant change is in the shceduled maintanence, but it says the first change was at 96,000km and then every 48,000km after that so I was wondering if that was excessive changing every 48,000km after the 96,000km mark.

The transfer case oil is changed every 48,000km but no mention of the rear axle oil being changed...just checked. (I really don't know what these things are lol). Would it be ok if the rear axle oil was never changed (just checked?)

thanks,
dave

Old 08-29-2014, 01:06 PM

IMO...lifetime fluid means lifetime of the parts it is lubricating...which means all fluids are lifetime rated. Using old/depleted fluids only speeds up the process.

I would change your tcase and rear diff with fresh. changing both pieces can be done with a single jug of 75w90 gear oil. I had a writeup on it years ago.

I would say that changing your coolant every 48k would be overkill. It is also a pain flushing the fluid. you have a main line that circulates coolant as normal...then you also have a secondary line that goes down to the transmission area I think to warm the tranny up quicker.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM

I would think a visual inspection of the coolant would tell you if a flush is warranted, but you should always follow the MFG scheduled maintenance checklists. If you're driving in extremely hot weather, that would also warrant a flush to ensure your engine is running as cool as possible.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:05 PM

Any problem using the following in a 2010 XLS?
Prestone Long Life Concentrate Antifreeze/Coolant | Canadian Tire

Old 09-22-2015, 06:51 PM

Our owner's manual says "or equivalent", so I guess I can use the Prestone, or Peak, or whatever, as long as the literature says its compatible with all fluids/vehicles.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 PM

no...do not use that universal crap. you need a non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free. The two that are easy to aquire are Valvoline Zerex Asian or Peak Global Lifetime.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
no...do not use that universal crap. you need a non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free. The two that are easy to aquire are Valvoline Zerex Asian or Peak Global Lifetime.
Thanks for the advice! One or the other of your suggestions it will be.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaander
Thanks for the advice! One or the other of your suggestions it will be.
I used peak global lifetime...was a few years back...no problems.

Quick Reply: coolant interval change