Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

CVT Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM

My 08 Outlander,2.4 cvt is doing the same thing. I noticed tranny issues after 1st fluid change.Problem is worst on cruise control.The rpm will jump up then back down causing a jerking sensation in the vechicle.I have noticed that when this problem happens in normal mode and I move shifter over to sport mode(cruise set), the problem goes away.Iam leaning towards a faulty module but have no info on all the tcm modules

Old 05-22-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by sonofabitchy
My 08 Outlander,2.4 cvt is doing the same thing. I noticed tranny issues after 1st fluid change.Problem is worst on cruise control.The rpm will jump up then back down causing a jerking sensation in the vechicle.I have noticed that when this problem happens in normal mode and I move shifter over to sport mode(cruise set), the problem goes away.Iam leaning towards a faulty module but have no info on all the tcm modules
Did you change the transmission fluid at a Mitsubishi dealership? With CVT transmissions it is critical to put in the recommended transmission fluid (no substitutes). Please refer to the attached image.

Attached Thumbnails CVT Transmission problem-cvt.jpg  
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 AM

Hi there,

Needing ur help we just purchased a 2013 lancer cj CVT Auto, great little car but soon as we hit the 1,000 Km mark when i drive it from 0Km-60 Kms i have noticed a juddering when i accelerate, It gets that bad i am holding up traffic, I am pretty sure its the first gear in the cvt not changing gears, or maybe the breaks locking up? I am really concerned as it doesnt do it all the time only when its been off for a for the day then the first 5 mins of driving it happens, im worried the dealer wont be able to see what i mean as it only happens once a day first thing, It was our first new family car and we are already having a problem and its a major juddering! Please help??

Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 AM

Did u notice when the proper CVT fluid was in did it stop the jerking sensation?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MITZOWNER
I hate to tell you this but Mitsubishi is infamous for having lousy trannys. I have 2 Mitz (Galant and an Endeavor) and both trannys are awful. The Endeavors went out completely at 103K miles and both the dealer and Mitsubishi did absolutely zero to help -- even though the problem obviously started long before 100k when the warranty ran out.
Maybe that's because either Galant and Endeavor were both designed for and built in the States? Mitsu apparently had a quite distorted perception of US auto market.

But stealeships are likewise throughout whole word - ignorant, lazy, deceptive, and Mitsubishi is not something special.

I used to have 2005 Ford Freestyle, also CVT-equipped. When it was time to perform CTV service (oil change, as per service manual to be done with high pressure filter replacement) I was told by big official dealer "we won't change those filters and stuff, we never do it and that's OK"
Sure thing that's OK for them when your CVT is wasted just outside factory warranty they'll gladly install you a new charging arm and leg.
Several Ford dealerships even managed to destroy couple of CVTs using non CVT oil in them saying "hey, we always use Dextron for transmission oil change, don't worry"

Old 09-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by sarahhardy91
Hi there,

Needing ur help we just purchased a 2013 lancer cj CVT Auto, great little car but soon as we hit the 1,000 Km mark when i drive it from 0Km-60 Kms i have noticed a juddering when i accelerate, It gets that bad i am holding up traffic, I am pretty sure its the first gear in the cvt not changing gears, or maybe the breaks locking up? I am really concerned as it doesnt do it all the time only when its been off for a for the day then the first 5 mins of driving it happens, im worried the dealer wont be able to see what i mean as it only happens once a day first thing, It was our first new family car and we are already having a problem and its a major juddering! Please help??

Its a legit warranty issue.

Make your stupid lazy dealership deal with it. Call Mitu customer service and tell them your problem and the problem with the dealer.

Dealerships get full list price on parts, full labor and diagnostic time - all paid by Miutsu, I do not understand these dealers' problem with warranty. It's a cash cow for the service dept.

Do not take no for an answer-go to the service manaer, sales manager and the dealership owner.

Make noise and make them fix it.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 AM

I recently had a CVT fluid change for my 2011 Outlander 2.4 at 30K miles and it went well. The vehicle shifts and accelerates smoothly. I even got a high of 27 mpg in mixed suburban driving. The dealership did a drain and fill AFAIK. Another shop looked at the fluid and said that it was unusually clear (because they expected green or yellow). The dealership also said that Mitsubishi has been playing with the CVT fluid formulations recently.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 AM
Default Transmission Recall

[QUOTE=yzrider22k;291662]Looking for some advise. I have a 2007 Mitsubishi outlander xls that is starting to have transmission problems. Out of no where, rpms will jump dramatically like the car has been placed in neutral. Shifts are getting harder. I'm thinking my transmission is starting to go. I equate it to my motorcycle clutch I put in wrong one time and rpms would sky rocked over a certain point. Car has 90k on it, no warranty and don't want to get rid of it. However I don't want to throw 7k down on a new tranny if it goes. Has anyone had a similar experience?[/QUOTEI am on owner of a 2016 Outlander & just received a recall/ campaign that they want me to bring my vehicle in for reprogramming the Transmission Control Module to avoid shudder & surge of RPM
Campaign SC-15-004
I had a 2009 Outlander before & had no issues & none with this so far.
I hope this may shed some light on your issue
Dave

Old 01-16-2016, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dave6381
I am on owner of a 2016 Outlander & just received a recall/ campaign that they want me to bring my vehicle in for reprogramming the Transmission Control Module to avoid shudder & surge of RPM
Campaign SC-15-004
I had a 2009 Outlander before & had no issues & none with this so far.
I hope this may shed some light on your issue
Dave
Which Outlander do you have, 2.4 CVT or 3.0 6spd? Curious if it affects mine.

Re: dealerships (and other comments here), I see some misinformation spreading. Service departments at dealerships are in no way related to the quality of the car. I am too new of a Mits owner to be defending the car brand, but dealerships are really hit or miss in terms of level of knowledge and service. It doesn't matter what kind of car it is. I have witnessed this at "luxury" brands as well. Unfortunately, people seem to think they are all representative of the car, but they are all franchises essentially, that can do whatever they want to make a profit. I actually see dealerships be less scrupulous because people inherently trust them, but small independent shops need to earn your trust for repeat business and referrals. I personally only go to a dealership service department if it's free and/or mandatory (warranty or included service).

Old 08-21-2016, 08:43 PM

just changed cvt fluid used valoline cvt fluid,just drove from nyc to outerbanks n Carolina no hiccups.

Quick Reply: CVT Transmission problem