Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Damn service engine soon light

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Default Damn service engine soon light

So I came home friday from work and parked the car. Today I vacumed and cleaned the floor mats. I washed the salt off the outside and dried off the windows so I didnt have to deal with as many water spots. I then took a shower. About 4 hours after washing the outlander I went outside, got in, and started it. The service engine soon light stayed on. Ok I turned it off and back on to see what would happen, it stayed on. I checked the gas cap, and fluids in the engine bay and all are good. I have 10,xxx miles and have to call the dealer monday now. I didnt drive it yet but i sat in my driveway and let it idle for a couple minutes and nothing was out of the normal.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Banned
Default RE: Damn service engine soon light

Depends what code is being thrown. Remove the negative battery termial for about a min, then reconnect it. See what happens.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 AM

I could be from condesation build up on in a sensor since you just sprayed it off. Let it sit for a while to dry out and then try again. It doesn't take much these days to make sensors throw a code.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Im not tryn to trick the ecu to reset its self. Not atleast while its under warrenty. If this was my eclipse I use to have I would reset the ecu or go through the dsm link and turn off the light, butthe light came on for somereason.No new car should throw check engine lights from washing it. That would mean everytime it rained I would have a service engine light come on. Its not like I opened the hood and washed the engine bay, no more water got on it than if I would of drove through the rain. I know the TSB and the reverse problem with the fuses or relays. Where condensation freezes and it jumps into reverse hard. I have had that problem two or three times now and have to go back for that. Very annoying having a 30k$ with 10k miles on it with a service engine light on. I am going to wait until Monday night for the girlfriends dad to bring home his scanner and see what code is being thrown and go from there.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 AM

sometimes they'll take several start/stops to turn off. If you're not noticing any differences in how it drives, I'd wait. Some auto parts stores will scan the codes for free.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:55 AM

I didn't realize you had this problem multiple times. Definitely let the dealer fix it then. If it's a sensor it should be an easy fix, but with that being said i hope it's not something worse.

The reason i mentioned the condensation thing is that i had this issue on a previous car when i washed the undercarriage after getting into some mud. The sensor tripped and reset itself after sitting in the sun for a few hours. I did take it to the dealer and they couldn't find any issues and said built up water can cause these kinds of faults. It never happened again, so i wrote it off as being fromcondensation.

Best of luck getting it resolved.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: antlip

Im not tryn to trick the ecu to reset its self. Not atleast while its under warrenty. If this was my eclipse I use to have I would reset the ecu or go through the dsm link and turn off the light, butthe light came on for somereason.No new car should throw check engine lights from washing it. That would mean everytime it rained I would have a service engine light come on. Its not like I opened the hood and washed the engine bay, no more water got on it than if I would of drove through the rain. I know the TSB and the reverse problem with the fuses or relays. Where condensation freezes and it jumps into reverse hard. I have had that problem two or three times now and have to go back for that. Very annoying having a 30k$ with 10k miles on it with a service engine light on. I am going to wait until Monday night for the girlfriends dad to bring home his scanner and see what code is being thrown and go from there.
Its not tricking the ECU, thats how the dealer does it (in 90% of cases). DSMLink has nothing to do with outlanders.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

ORIGINAL: antlip

Its not tricking the ECU, thats how the dealer does it (in 90% of cases). DSMLink has nothing to do with outlanders.
HUH? I said if it was my eclipse. I know my outlander doesnt have dsm link. Most of the time the dealer can reset the lights with a scanner. If im going to a dealship and they think there going to unhook my battery and put it back on to fix the light problem, were going to have a huge problem. I know already that taking the battery off is going to reset the ecu and if theres a problem the lights going to come right back on. So for a few miles the problem will be hideen.

I didnt wash the engine bay. Water and engine bays dont get along.