Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Does this clutch look right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Default Does this clutch look right?

Hello.

I have a 2008 Outlander 2.2d 4WD manual.
The clutch started slipping recently (revs rise but no pull, then revs drop and there is some pull).
I could not get a replacement Luk Clutch from anywhere, all out of stock. I found a compatible Exedy clutch (for more money) which has arrived but it doesn't look adjustable like the Luk one. It lines up and seems it will fit.

Does it look correct?
I don't want to fit it and find out it is wrong then I can't get a refund. It was ordered based on my reg which gave the supplier the exact make/model of my Outlander. Any ideas?

Pictures attached. The dirty battered one is the old clutch.

Attached Thumbnails Does this clutch look right?-compareclutches.jpg   Does this clutch look right?-originalclutch.jpg   Does this clutch look right?-newclutch.jpg  
Old 09-19-2016, 07:50 PM

Exedy makes all the OEM clutches for many of the japanese brands including mitsubishi, honda and all of subaru. So you can be sure the quality is good.

However, i think the 2.2diesel in european outlanders is probably made by a european diesel maker, like VW or someone else. So Luk was the OEM clutch, but exedy is every bit just as good.

I would measure the bolt mounting holes to the flywheel and inner diameter of the diaphram as this is when the throw out bearing will match up. Other than that, i don't think any of the difference will make a difference other than feel and engagment point.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 AM

If your 2008, 2.2 diesel Outlander has 115kw / 156hp then it's fitted with the french PSA (Peugeot-Citroen) 2.2HDI (diesel) engine.

The newer (2010/2011=>) 2.2 diesel outlanders are fitted with the Japanese version of this engine and have an output of 130kw/177hp.

You should check the new Exedy clutch by its part number, knowing exactly what engine do you have on your car.

You can find the Exedy clutches for the 2.2 diesel Outlanders here: Standard Replacement Clutch Kits - Exedy Clutch Europe and I'll attach a capture of that selection below.

How many miles do you have on your car?
The clutch starts slipping only in high gears / higher speeds, or also in 1st, 2nd and low speeds?
I'm asking, because the 115kw / 156hp 2.2 diesel engine had a quite common oil seal failure here in Europe, letting oil vapors get to the clutch disk which started slipping. In case this happened under warranty, the dealers changed the seal and the clutch disk free of charge.

If you have this type of engine, you should check if the disk is worn out or it has oil marks/stains on it.

Attached Thumbnails Does this clutch look right?-exedyoutlander.jpg