Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DVD in motion patch for NR261UM

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Default DVD in motion patch for NR261UM

This will only work with v109/2068
If you have a different version, let me know.
atb
O.
You'll need to rename the file, obviously. Just remove the .txt extension and ope with winrar ( or whatever ).

Old 05-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Default RE: DVD in motion patch for NR261UM

As I was the 'beta tester' for this, I confirm it works with my MMCS DVD playback while the vehicle in motion now works, with no cutting of any wires, and no losing of any navigation functions!

Note: the patch is for the NR-261UM models. If you have the NR-261EM model, send it to Otaku so he can make a patch for you.

Quick installation instructions:

* Follow rcostin's instructions for removing and unlocking the hard drive here: https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_208034/tm.htm

* Extract the RAR file in the above post

* On the "HDD3" partition (the one with the file "Loading.kwi"), make a backup copy of the original loading.kwi and keep it in a safe place.

* Execute the patch from the RAR file to patch the loading.kwi file.

* Before reinstalling the hard drive back into the MMCS, disconnect the (-) battery cable for about 2 minutes. This is necessary to "cold" boot the MMCS to get it to load the new firmware. (pulling the appropriate fuse might also work).

* Reconnect the battery cable and put the hard drive back in the MMCS.

* Close the screen and turn the ignition key back to ACC or "ON".

* You will see it do a version up, then a screen check. After a few moments it should restart and be back to normal operation.

* Stick in a DVD and go for a test drive!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 AM

Hi brian or rcostin, got a few questions.

1. Is it OK to remove the drive without detaching the battery terminals?
2. And also, I understand the attachment is a patcher, and we needed the actual KWI from the HDD, patch it, then rewrite it back to the drive?
3. We attach the HDD back unlocked?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 AM

1. As long as the car is not started (MMCS not operate), you can remove the disk.
2. There is an executable patcher. you have to extract it in the same folder as loading.kwi, execute the patch (which modifies the loading.kwi file) and put back loading.kwi on disk
3. You may attach the disk back. The unit will lock it back.

Unfortunately, to force reloading the OS (loading.kwi) you have to detach the MMCS from the battery for few minutes ......

ORIGINAL: rcpax

Hi brian or rcostin, got a few questions.

1. Is it OK to remove the drive without detaching the battery terminals?
2. And also, I understand the attachment is a patcher, and we needed the actual KWI from the HDD, patch it, then rewrite it back to the drive?
3. We attach the HDD back unlocked?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Kudos to you, brian, and Otaku.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 AM

Hi,
I have a different version. I've uploaded it here.
Still waiting for my car

All the best,
Costin

Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 AM

I'll have a shuftie when I'm home from work..
TBH, I'm surprised theres not an easier way to upgrade without all the kerfuffle of copying files to the harddrive..
How do normal, legitimate updates work ?
atb
O.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: rcpax
Sorry, I didn't realize otaku posted a patching program I've updated my post to make the instructions slightly clearer on this.

Once we figure out how "normal" software updates work, our goal is to make the patch as simple as sticking in a CD. But for now, we have to do it the hard way...

Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM

What about this scenario:
Using a Linux SH4 bootable CD.
In rc files it should unlock disk, make checkings, copy the loader.kwi file, eject CD, and restart the MMCS ....
Could it be so simple ?

Need to check.
Costin

Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Unfortunately, embedded system's don't tend to boot that way. We're at the mercy of the bootloader, which is located on a disk-on-chip or flash memory or something similar. But theres nothing to say that we can't replace the bootloader with a custom one, then boot linux off it

I think it'd be easier to see if the MMCS has any 'hidden way' to execute programs off a CD (i.e. trick it into thinking its a legitimate upgrade disc) and run the patch application that way (recompiled for SH4 CE of course). Thats why I'd like to get my hands on the new Map data update disc, which does in fact update the firmware, so we can see what the MMCS looks for when you insert a CD/DVD, then we can mimic the behavior.

Quick Reply: DVD in motion patch for NR261UM