Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Default Outlander air filter

I have an 08 Outlander. How difficult or easy would it be for me to change my engine air filter by myself? Any tips or recommendations?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy412
I have an 08 Outlander. How difficult or easy would it be for me to change my engine air filter by myself? Any tips or recommendations?
It's simple enough to do once you get used to it - but a bit tedious to make sure the housing around the filter is secure. No tools required.

It's a 3 part horizontal housing instead of a drop in air filter where gravity holds the filter in place for you while you secure the connections. The plastic filter walls become part of the duct assembly.

Step 3 of the procedure is to make sure the hinges at the bottom of the filter housing are connected before closing the metal clasps (see arrows in diagram) at the top. Once the metal clasps are closed you'll never get the bottom hinges to mate. It's also difficult to see the bottom hinges once the new filter is in place.

Attached Thumbnails Outlander air filter-manualaircleanerelementreplacement.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM

I had installed a K&N air filter in my outy and i did it myself. it was fairly easy just 2 clamps but the tough part was the bottom hinge as the person above described. u need that in place first or else there is no snug fit.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM

I used this one. Perfect fit. Closing the air box is a bitch, weird air box design.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/49023.html

Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 PM

I've found it easier to unscrew/unfasten the air duct from the grille when putting it back in. A real pain to get back into place because of the bottom hinge. would be nice if there was some sort of snap-on filter.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM

you should put a K&N, and dont need to change your air filter anymore, just clean it once in a while, lots less trouble, and make the engine sound better, engine breath better and a little more HP

Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Anyone know where to get a K&N air filter in the Toronto, Ontario area? Price?
I saw them on e-bay but the shipping is expensive. (I think Canadian Tire can order them.)

Thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2010CanOutie
Anyone know where to get a K&N air filter in the Toronto, Ontario area? Price?
I saw them on e-bay but the shipping is expensive. (I think Canadian Tire can order them.)

Thanks
at any canadian tire they can order it

Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 AM

got mine from canadian tire...came to $77 taxes in I think.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
I had installed a K&N air filter in my outy and i did it myself. it was fairly easy just 2 clamps but the tough part was the bottom hinge as the person above described. u need that in place first or else there is no snug fit.

Ok so what is the secret recipe to get the bottom hinges to mate? I gave up after .5 hour.

TIA

Quick Reply: Outlander air filter