Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

engine blown

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Default engine blown

I have a 2007 outlander fwd with the 3l. this week the water pump died and caused the timing belt to skip a few teeth which in turn damaged the engine.
Verdict-gotta come out...
Has anyone ever done this engine replacement? no way I am paying 20 hours labour to get this done. I am an aircraft mechanic so from a competence standpoint there is no problems, just wondering how involved a job it is. I havent bought a manual yet but is there room to pull it out of the hood or it needs to come out the bottom?

I have source several engines between 400 and 700$ so that's no a problem.
On another note....
outlander muffler 1000$
Transmission cooler-950$
exhaust mid pipe-2200$
gently used low km engine-450$....

Lol this company makes no sense!

Old 02-25-2017, 04:01 PM

I'll pm you the service manual later today.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 PM

Every time I look at the SM, I see the divots in the pistons where the valves would go, and thought the engine was non-interference. Early on, we had a guy or two state that they knew mechanics who worked on these who said people would break a belt on the highway and be fine.

If you could pull the heads off (once your swap is done) to see the carnage.

I don't know which way the engine comes out. I would think that there should be plenty of room out the top once the radiator is out and all misc accessories. I'm no mechanic, but I've done timing belt and plugs on this bitch once. Very close to doing it again.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I'm no mechanic, but I've done timing belt and plugs on this bitch once. Very close to doing it again.
Are you going to wait until spring or summer to do the job? I'm going to be doing our '10 XLS this summer and misery loves company. I have to say that I'm not looking forward to doing what's necessary to replace those firewall plugs.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:50 AM

From what i've read all the 24 v v6s are interference whereas the 12s arent. The mecanics replaced the belt and pump and could not get it started again. We are all assuming valve damage. It quit on my wife on the highway, she was able to restart it and did another 500 metres before i died again. The guy at the shop said he had it running with the bad pump but after the replacement no go. I checked and all the timing marks where where they were supposed to be so It doesnt seem like the screwed it up. Belt and pump are off and returned to the parts store no so a compression check is not possible but I will pull the plenum and plugs and take a peek with my borescope before starting the work for sure. That said, i saw the old belt and it was mangled big time. Some teeth on the belt were sheard and most were damaged. There is no doubt in my mind that the timing was way off.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaander
Are you going to wait until spring or summer to do the job? I'm going to be doing our '10 XLS this summer and misery loves company. I have to say that I'm not looking forward to doing what's necessary to replace those firewall plugs.
likely summer/fall. Currently working with dad on a mower with a blown engine...got to get it put together before grass gets too high.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:39 PM

Well, engine swap is done and sucessful. I was able to get an 08 engine with 89000 kms. Went very well and is actually pretty easy. Having to do it again I would have it done in a day ( alebeit a long day). Total cost under 600$ including cosumables and drinks for the boys. Had great fun!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 PM

I didnt pull the heads off the old one but took my borescope to take a peek down the plug holes just to make sure before starting the job. I could see little smiles ( half of a valve due to the angle) imprimted in the carbon or the piston top on all six pistons.
It looks like one of the exhaust valves made contact as there werent 4 "smiles" per piston, just one. Zero doubt that i had some bent valves...

Old 04-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Thanks very much for the update.

I have to ask a somewhat ironic question. On the used engine, did you replace the timing belt, water pump, etc., as well as at least the firewall plugs and coils BEFORE you installed it, or are you rolling the dice with what was already in the engine?

Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaander
Thanks very much for the update.

I have to ask a somewhat ironic question. On the used engine, did you replace the timing belt, water pump, etc., as well as at least the firewall plugs and coils BEFORE you installed it, or are you rolling the dice with what was already in the engine?

Thanks again.
I inspected the timing belt and associated components ( tensionner, water pump etc) everything was fine, it's a low mileage engine. If it aint broke, don't fix it ; )... It's at 89000 kms right now and theoritically the belt will be due at 160, the truck will long be in the jusnkyard by then. Even if i wanted to be safe and do it at 140 to make up for possible error/bull**** from the wreckers mileage statement that still gives me 50 thousand kms ( about 4 years for me). If i end up having to do It, I can tell you that it will be quite easy after changing the engine hehe

As for the coils and plugs( when you say firewall plugs, i assume you are talking about the aft bank of sparkplugs) no, i didn't change anything. Removing the plenum to gain acces is very easy ( about 10 bolts/ nuts, a few connectors/ vaccum lines and the intake to the tb) and takes about 30 minutes max( this is my 3rd time doing it). I'll do them if the need presents itself but up to now, all good.

Last edited by Eric Bolduc; 04-03-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: engine blown