Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

engine 'thump'

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Default engine 'thump'

I drive a 2004 outlander, automatic gear box. Recently, when either starting off or gear changes, there is a 'thump' coming from what seems to be the rear of the car. Any idea's anyone on what this could be? Many thanks

Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM

do you feel or hear the thump?

Is it just one thump or is it repetitive?

have you checked your transmission fluids? if an AWD, have you checked the transfer case box? the rear differential?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM

I have the same problem. ATF level is good. (it was a little low from the last time I changed it so I added some more but it didn't change the thump).

Changed the transfer case fluid. No effect.

checked the rear differential, fluid level was fine. My understanding is that the fluid level should be just up to lip of the drain hole. That is if you take out the drain plug it should be just on the brink of spilling out. I didn't change the fluid though.

I also have a 2004 (155k) but the thump has been there for the last 20k or so at least.

I'd also love to know what it is. Mine happens basically when I step on the brakes and then immediately over to the gas. Feels like its not so much on a gear change but as I come out of neutral... Its much like if I were driving stick and released the clutch too fast.

This might be related but when I take the car out of Park in to Drive or Reverse there is a good 1-2 seconds before it goes into gear. If I'm too quick I'll shift into Drive and step on the gas and the revs will go up but I won't move for 1-2 seconds before it goes into gear and then I'll take off kinda rough.

Any ideas?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 PM

baron, the only things that come to mind would be a torque converter having problems (delayed engagement) or in the case of hitting the brakes and then the gas...maybe the transmission is taking a bit longer than you'd like to shift through the gears?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
do you feel or hear the thump?

Is it just one thump or is it repetitive?

have you checked your transmission fluids? if an AWD, have you checked the transfer case box? the rear differential?
The thump is a single thump, not like a wheel knocking: it seems to be only when changing the gears: you hear & feel the thump.
I took the car off this morning to a drive shaft mech, who tells me the drive shaft & prop are ok & says it may be the diff, & we're going to check that out tomorrow, but could also be a mount that's come loose, cv joint or something else related to the rear wheels.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 AM

Hi David,
I am not sure if you have solved this as it is now about 2 yrs since your last post on this topic. I have found the page that follows about a similar problem:
Awd Rear Differential Front Support Bracket - Mitsubishi-Forums.com
I am dealing with the issue you described so I thought to check with you to see if you have found a solution and if you did what it was.
Please let me know.

Thank you in advance, Massimo.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:59 AM

This thread is many years old. Anyone else have this problem? I have a 2004 Outlander AWD automatic transmission with 168k miles and there is a delay and single clunk sound when I shift from park to drive.