Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Firestone Coil Rite air bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Default Firestone Coil Rite air bags

Hi,
I was thinking of installing Firestone Coil Rite air bags on my 2012 outlander. I went to a shop to see how much it would cost.The salesperson said he was not impressed with these airbags,says they don't always last long due to puncture holes.I would like comments from those that have them installed for some time.I live in canada and winters are pretty cold.Does this affect reliability?
tks

Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 AM

I've seen reports that they last at least for 3 years.

Bought those, yet my mechanic was not able to install without spring removal which I did not approve.

Still have the kit, can resell it cheaper if you're local.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 PM

Vadimus, I thought I read on here that some have been able to slip it through the springs without the need to remove it.

I haven't installed them yet, but I'm looking to get one of those hitch carrier things and possibly a trailer...I have these in the back of my mind.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:10 PM

I read those reports as well. Wasn't to able to do it even on the left side, right side has extra obstructing muffler.

I'm still sure it's doable though.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 PM

hmmm...I wonder if you jack it up to open them up a bit...

Old 01-31-2015, 07:10 AM

I did the install with my airbags and didn't have to remove anything. I put the airbags in the sun for about 15 min. and slipped them right in. Drilled a hole for the valve inside the rear cargo opening and ran the tubing. The kit included the heat guard shields that go around the muffler pipes. That was 4 years ago. What a difference it makes when hauling my trailer. Total Time about 20 Min. for the install. Airlift is the name and it was just a few bucks but worth it's weight in gold. It levels my tongue weight out and drives perfect now.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Mitch3.5XS
I did the install with my airbags and didn't have to remove anything. I put the airbags in the sun for about 15 min. and slipped them right in. Drilled a hole for the valve inside the rear cargo opening and ran the tubing. The kit included the heat guard shields that go around the muffler pipes. That was 4 years ago. What a difference it makes when hauling my trailer. Total Time about 20 Min. for the install. Airlift is the name and it was just a few bucks but worth it's weight in gold. It levels my tongue weight out and drives perfect now.
I checked on the airlift site and they don't sell parts for mitsubishii's.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:32 PM

Anyone else tried these Firestone airbags?

Old 02-21-2015, 01:55 AM

I have the 4180 or is it 4182 (don't recall) firestone coil-rites on my 07 outie. I've had no issues with them so far. I bought these to level the ride height on my car and have a firmer ride.

Please note from personal experience: don't force them through the space between the springs. Take the time to install them properly and loosen the coil springs. People who complain about holes in the air springs have this issue because they forced it in without taking out the coils. When you try to force the coil-rites there is a big chance you will damage it.

I understand why there's such a trepidation on taking out the springs--really tough to do....unless you also remove the stabilizer/torsion bar screws to release the tension. Once you've done this and you have enough height on the jack, the springs come off easily. You don't need to take them out completely. Just tip the spring until the coil-rite fits in and stand it back up. The prep time is longer and more involved but you're doing it right and this will avoid a lot of headaches later on.

Also, the hoses must be cut very cleanly and straight to help avoid leaks. What I did was installed a brass t-connector you can buy at any ace hardware with the copper bushings to prevent air leaks and just routed 1 intake valve instead of 2. This made things easier when putting in air. Also, I don't go beyond 20psi of pressure.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by alim
I have the 4180 or is it 4182 (don't recall) firestone coil-rites on my 07 outie. I've had no issues with them so far. I bought these to level the ride height on my car and have a firmer ride.

Please note from personal experience: don't force them through the space between the springs. Take the time to install them properly and loosen the coil springs. People who complain about holes in the air springs have this issue because they forced it in without taking out the coils. When you try to force the coil-rites there is a big chance you will damage it.

I understand why there's such a trepidation on taking out the springs--really tough to do....unless you also remove the stabilizer/torsion bar screws to release the tension. Once you've done this and you have enough height on the jack, the springs come off easily. You don't need to take them out completely. Just tip the spring until the coil-rite fits in and stand it back up. The prep time is longer and more involved but you're doing it right and this will avoid a lot of headaches later on.

Also, the hoses must be cut very cleanly and straight to help avoid leaks. What I did was installed a brass t-connector you can buy at any ace hardware with the copper bushings to prevent air leaks and just routed 1 intake valve instead of 2. This made things easier when putting in air. Also, I don't go beyond 20psi of pressure.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info!