Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

FM Radio Loses Treble/High Frequencies, Ear Pain. Mits corporate denying...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Default FM Radio Loses Treble/High Frequencies, Ear Pain. Mits corporate denying...HELP!

Hi,

A little background...I owned a 2007 Outlander with the Rockford Fosgate audio system and the FM radio would cut out mid and high frequencies (treble) in and out during songs. Not only was this annoying but my ears could feel the change and it felt like pressure in a plane.

It was initially observed and they said that that's just how it is. However, I called corporate and they determined that there was a specific radio that needed to be ordered and the problem would be solved. This was true and I drove it perfectly for 5 years.

Fast forward to today. I bought a Nav equipped 2011 Outlander and it has the same problem only this time Mits corporate is acting like there is no fix and they are refusing to give me the information that led to the specific radio being replaced on my old vehicle. The dealership won't help because the radio is out of warranty and they don't/won't order one and be on the hook for the cost if it doesn't work (I have a third party warranty that would cover it).

I know this was a bigger problem because I read posts back when I got the first car. Does anyone have more information that is specific that can help? Right not Mits is refusing to help and if I told you how I've been treated by them you probably won't buy another Mits. Hopefully someone else has had this problem and has the TSB or tech talk info to help.

Thank you!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 AM

are you sure it isn't just the stereo reception coming in and out?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
are you sure it isn't just the stereo reception coming in and out?
I had my head unit replaced on my 2009 because I was getting strange results on FM while the CD and SAT/AUX are fine. It seemed like the stereo channels (L/R) would drop in and out. Usually the passenger would drop and come back, but never both at the same time.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same symptoms originally described in this post. It really ruins the enjoyment of FM radio.

The new unit does the same thing. Some people on this forum have replaced with aftermarket units and solved the problem. The antenna and wiring seems to be fine.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:35 AM

Yes. The corp acknowledged it was an issue and there was a specific radio needed to fix it. You could drive in the Chicago or in the open air with no problems once the proper radio was in. It may be a reception issue, but it is a problem that has been solved before and they aren't helping during round two. It's not the antenna and wiring, etc. They had to replace the proper deck.