Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Front Brake Pad Replacement - Details for DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Default Front Brake Pad Replacement - Details for DIY?

I'm ready to replace my front pads with Mitsu. Is there a book like Edmunds that covers the details or can someone tell me the steps ( besides remove fluid, push back pistons, replace pads, test drive) and what I need besides pads like other hardware?
Thanks.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Default RE: Front Brake Pad Replacement - Details for DIY?

you dont have to remove fluid (unless you're reffering to the one thats in the caliper, but by pushing back the piston, you would have moved it back into the resiv)

other than that its a simple job. Ive changed mine twice (including rotors) and used the basic tools

but on a side note, theres no need to bleed the brakes. Im not sure why not, but my mechanic told me that it didnt need it.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:27 PM

Usually the brakes only need to be bled if air enters the lines.
I know you are intending on using Mitsu pads, but for anyone else thinking of going cheaper...DO NOT EVER use Auto Zone pads on your car...they are terrible on these cars, I made the mistake of the mid grade lifetime qwarranty pads and returned them within a week after brake fade almost didn't stop me at a 4 way intersection. Then they didn't want to take them back...they did end up taking them back though.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtwagon

Usually the brakes only need to be bled if air enters the lines.
I know you are intending on using Mitsu pads, but for anyone else thinking of going cheaper...DO NOT EVER use Auto Zone pads on your car...they are terrible on these cars, I made the mistake of the mid grade lifetime qwarranty pads and returned them within a week after brake fade almost didn't stop me at a 4 way intersection. Then they didn't want to take them back...they did end up taking them back though.
dura-last is dura-crap

Old 07-22-2006, 10:13 PM

here we go again....first of all, make sure you know how to bleed brakes. in my experience w/ the outtie ( replacing pads for 4x) i, always end up bleeding the system in the end. had a experience driving it (after changing pads w/out bleeding) brakes wont bite and it takes 6-8 pumps to spit the fluids into the chamber, and that scare the hell out of my butt!! for the first time, i drove my outtie 20 m.p.h. because of that situation. anyway, before performing a surgery, make sure the resevoir cap is off. this will ensure that no bleed pressure build up when you push the piston back in the chamber. also...dura last?? yes, its dura crap!! try some other brand. (better w/ mitsu. brand)

Old 07-23-2006, 02:39 AM

Mitsu pads were and still are great!!

Old 07-23-2006, 02:41 AM

here we go again....first of all, make sure you know how to bleed brakes. in my experience w/ the outtie ( replacing pads for 4x) i, always end up bleeding the system in the end. had a experience driving it (after changing pads w/out bleeding) brakes wont bite and it takes 6-8 pumps to spit the fluids into the chamber, and that scare the hell out of my butt!!
You don't need to bleed the brakes at all- what you do need to do is pump the pedal a few times AFTER everything is buttoned up so that the pads are seated in the at rest position against the rotor. It should take several pumps to do this. This goes for EVERY vehicle in which you push in the caliper piston during a brake service.

Joel, CA

Old 07-23-2006, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Joel_CA

here we go again....first of all, make sure you know how to bleed brakes. in my experience w/ the outtie ( replacing pads for 4x) i, always end up bleeding the system in the end. had a experience driving it (after changing pads w/out bleeding) brakes wont bite and it takes 6-8 pumps to spit the fluids into the chamber, and that scare the hell out of my butt!!
You don't need to bleed the brakes at all- what you do need to do is pump the pedal a few times AFTER everything is buttoned up so that the pads are seated in the at rest position against the rotor. It should take several pumps to do this. This goes for EVERY vehicle in which you push in the caliper piston during a brake service.

Joel, CA
thnx for that advice....never had a problem changing pads w/ my eclipse's, but for the outlander...hmmm bad experience i, guess.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:33 AM

I'm coming up on 57000kms, should I be changing my brakes soon?

Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Jewelz

I'm coming up on 57000kms, should I be changing my brakes soon?
you may have a little more left in the pads, but if you're finding some squeeking noise or other warning signs of brake replacement you can do it.

I live in a very hilly area so my brakes get alot more wear then people living in flats.

if you have the time Id just pop off the tire and see how much is left on the pad.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Pad Replacement - Details for DIY?