Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Gas fuel door not opening - 2010 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Default Gas fuel door not opening - 2010 Outlander

Anybody had this before? I pull the fuel release lever next to my seat all the way and the gas fuel door doesn't open. I can openly it manually by using my key as leverage, but that starts to scratch the paint.

The problem: there's a little "tongue" / "plunger" that is retracted when you pull the release lever. After the tongue/plunger is retracted, the fuel door springs open. On my 2010 Outlander now, the tongue/plunger barely moves when I pull the lever: maybe just 2-3 millimeters. But it definitely moves, so the cable isn't broken 100%.

Thoughts? I'm trying to see if the problem is near the lever or near the fuel door. Before, when I pulled the gas lever, there was a "jerk" as the door popped open. Now, the lever is loose and moves up/down pretty easily (but does reset to the down position if I let go).

Old 02-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ikjadoon
Anybody had this before? I pull the fuel release lever next to my seat all the way and the gas fuel door doesn't open. I can openly it manually by using my key as leverage, but that starts to scratch the paint.

The problem: there's a little "tongue" / "plunger" that is retracted when you pull the release lever. After the tongue/plunger is retracted, the fuel door springs open. On my 2010 Outlander now, the tongue/plunger barely moves when I pull the lever: maybe just 2-3 millimeters. But it definitely moves, so the cable isn't broken 100%.

Thoughts? I'm trying to see if the problem is near the lever or near the fuel door. Before, when I pulled the gas lever, there was a "jerk" as the door popped open. Now, the lever is loose and moves up/down pretty easily (but does reset to the down position if I let go).
I had the same issue in my 2008 had to take it do the dealer so they can reattach and fix the mechanism. Lucky enough it was still under warranty so I dodged a bullet. Before I took it in a temporary work around is to just leave the door open till you can take it in for repair.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM

Thank you for the reply. I had asked the dealer, actually, to look at it the last time I went for a recall notice, but they forgot about it. Oh, well.

I actually found this post: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...ot-open-50258/

And it was the same issue! there's a screw by the lever that removes the plastic shell. From there, I noticed that the cable & lever weren't matche up. There's a little "ball" on the cable; the lever attaches to this "ball" and pulls. On mine, somehow, the lever wasn't connecting to the ball anymore.

It took some effort (it's all at a uncomfortable angle; almost wanted to take the driver seat out!), but I was able to fit the ball back into the lever and it works now!

Old 03-12-2021, 12:32 PM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by ikjadoon
Thank you for the reply. I had asked the dealer, actually, to look at it the last time I went for a recall notice, but they forgot about it. Oh, well.

I actually found this post: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...ot-open-50258/

And it was the same issue! there's a screw by the lever that removes the plastic shell. From there, I noticed that the cable & lever weren't matche up. There's a little "ball" on the cable; the lever attaches to this "ball" and pulls. On mine, somehow, the lever wasn't connecting to the ball anymore.

It took some effort (it's all at a uncomfortable angle; almost wanted to take the driver seat out!), but I was able to fit the ball back into the lever and it works now!
Your post saved me a trip to the dealership..

Old 03-13-2021, 11:52 AM
Default Nice. Worked great since.

I'd totally forgotten this thread; nearly thought this email notification was spam.

Nice. Glad to hear it helped; cheers for the reply.

Takes a bit of time, but it's been a permanent solution. Four years later, it's not come loose again, so I'll chalk it up as a win. Knocking on wood of course... 👍