Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

General Roof Rack Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 AM
Default General Roof Rack Question

So i just bought the 2016 Outlander Sport. I did not get the factory roof racks with the car.

I am curious, has anyone used non OEM roof rack mounts and roof rack on the 2016? I don't know much about how the racks should be attached best without damage to the body. I know Yakima makes the universalish racks for it and so does Thule but they clip onto the inner door jam's at the top, which i want to avoid but if i have to then i have too.

Any links to racks that would work or models or anything would be awesome.
I've never had to buy a roof rack system before so i'm just unsure as to what i need to get to be able to hold 1-2 or 3 snowboards on my roof.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:46 AM

You shouldn't have to get a door jam mount rack. Looks like the Sport has built in mounting points on the roof even if you don't have rails installed. If you're trying to save some money, I don't know how easily it is to find generic racks that are compatible with those built in mounting points. They are pretty easy to get with the OEM or Thule/Yakima route though. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by theSaint024
You shouldn't have to get a door jam mount rack. Looks like the Sport has built in mounting points on the roof even if you don't have rails installed. If you're trying to save some money, I don't know how easily it is to find generic racks that are compatible with those built in mounting points. They are pretty easy to get with the OEM or Thule/Yakima route though. Good luck.
Yeah i found out that i wasn't the brightest and neglected to glance at my roof haha i can see the mounting points and Yakima got back to me with the correct kit for the car.

Thanks man!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 92-3kgt
Yeah i found out that i wasn't the brightest and neglected to glance at my roof haha i can see the mounting points and Yakima got back to me with the correct kit for the car.

Thanks man!
Do you mind posting the details of the roof rack you got? Were you able to install it yourself? I just bought 2016 Outlander Sport and am looking for the same information you were looking for 6 months ago. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Izziefans
Do you mind posting the details of the roof rack you got? Were you able to install it yourself? I just bought 2016 Outlander Sport and am looking for the same information you were looking for 6 months ago. Thanks!
Yeah no problem, i bought all Yakima.
Yakima Landing Pads, Yakima Skyline Towers, Yakima JetStream bars and Yakima FatCat6 for my snowboard holder.

It's a pretty solid setup, the parts feel like quality, i do recommend you buy the SKS locks for the towers though just in case, it locks the towers to the pads.
The install wasn't very hard, i didn't quiet follow the instructions so i just measured the ends of each side when mounting the bars to the towers.

Overall the whole system was pricey but it is worth it if you want a good quality roof rack setup. I was thinking Thule but they didn't have anything direct bolt on like Yakima does. The landing pads are specific for our cars mounting points (does come with other bolts though for different cars) and the rest connects to each other.