Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

grinding/clicking noise when changing air direction settings

Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Default grinding/clicking noise when changing air direction settings

Hey all,

we have a 2009 outlander (v6 4wd with 184,000kkm on it). At around 100,000km, the heater blower motor made noise - and it was replaced. Then we got a recall notice saying the heater blower motors are recalled. But they said ours wasn't affected after checking it out.

Fast forward to now. Whenever the air dircetion **** is moved (say from just face to defrost) there is an odd grinding/clicking noise coming from behind the dash and it takes a while for the air direction to actually switch. Also, we are starting to get a weird smell. I thought it was faint rubbing burning, but my gf can't really describe it. And the smell only seems to happen when at stand still.

Any thoughts on this? I might call the dealer today and see what they can do.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by newoutlanderfan; 04-18-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:59 PM

sounds like something with the blend door in the HVAC system is binding and the motor is struggling to move the door to proper position. I haven't had to tear too far into the system to know more. I've only replaced the blower motor and cabin filters so far.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
sounds like something with the blend door in the HVAC system is binding and the motor is struggling to move the door to proper position. I haven't had to tear too far into the system to know more. I've only replaced the blower motor and cabin filters so far.
Hmmm....so this probably isn't something that I can reach from just looking in the glove box, as it is coming from behind the dash (at least I think it is).

Old 04-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Look at page 55A-115 of the service manual. Looks like the motors that control all that are next to the blower motor...which is easy to get to. if you don't have a copy, PM me.