Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help! Ignition locked!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Default Help! Ignition locked!

I own a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander LS without the FAST key, just the regular keyless fob.

I went to back it into my driveway today and after I got out, I realised the wheels were still turned. I went to turn the steering wheel to straighten them, without the key in, forgetting that it would lock the steering. So I go to put the key in and turn the ignition on and the ignition is totally locked! It will not allow me to turn it any way! The message on the screen says "remove key".

I dont know what to do!! I've tried locking and unlocking the driver's door manually and electronically with the key fob and then putting it back into the ignition...I get the same "remove key" message and the ignition is still totally locked!!

I tried waiting for 15 minutes to see if it is a timer sort of deal. Still nothing! It is a Sunday, so I can't call the dealership for help today... I've been looking in the owners manual, but I can't find anything relating to this problem...everything I see is about having the FAST key.

Has this happened to any of you? I am just happy I wasn't out somewhere else when this happened, but now my Outy is totally unstartable and I don't know what to do!

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!!

Thanks,

Joe

Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM

I have had this happen in other cars, I was able to free it if I turned the wheel out of the lock detent a bit left or right. Not sure if yours is able to do that or not. Another option is to see if you can override and get the car into neutral. I would check out the owners manual but I believe there is a small tab you can pop to get at that near the shifter. Hope this helps.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM

Outlander_Joe, this happened me in another car, and what I did it was to insert the key and gently to force to turn the steering wheel in right and left direction until I managed to turn the key. I hope that this can help. . .

Old 04-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Thanks guys. Yes, I've had ignitions lock where I had to turn the steering wheel to make it unlock. I did that and it worked. I guess I figured this was a theft deterrent system or something, especially when I put the key into the ignition and it said "remove key" and didnt want to start. It probably says "remove key" every time I put it in, but I dont notice it because I turn the ignition on right away.

Ugh, what a stupid, silly mistake. I'm just happy it was as easy as it was to correct.

Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2009, 12:06 PM

It's excellent news, that good that you managed to solve the problem

Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Glad you got it solved. For future reference even though it was Sunday and the dealer was closed, you still have the 24 hour roadside assistance from mitusibishi. If you ever have another problem where vehicle won't start, call them and let them help you.

I too had a similiar problem with a 2003 Hyundai Elantra I owned. Every so often I would have to turn the wheel as I was turning the key to get the ignition to unlock. Apparently the ignition interlock is a tight tolerance and I wonder if over time it just gets loose.

Last edited by azjake; 04-19-2009 at 04:31 PM.