Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How to improve headlight performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Default How to improve headlight performance?

Daughter is very disappointed with headlights on her 2006. Wondering about bulb replacement, vs HID conversion, vs just adding driving lights. opinions?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM

do outlander's 2006 have projector lamps?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
do outlander's 2006 have projector lamps?
no i dont think, but to answer the question about headlights. silvania make the best and brightest white ( notice i said white ) headlights there called the silvania ultra silver stars.... only draw back is they dont have the life span as the oem or other brand names. another brand i actually have and like and are about 20% brighter than the stock oem are philips X treme power bulbs these bulbs are actually brighter than the silvania but not whiter. Also you have HIR bulbs made from toshiba which are the brightest light available compared to HID but they are not available everywhere, best bet is to try ebay for them or search a site called candlepower. HIR bulbs are the best but they also need a tiny bit of modification if you are daring, just a little bit of grinding, and also they are not available in all sizes, so good luck if that is the route you want to go... hope i help.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM

If they are the original bulbs, (5 years old), then I would replace them for sure. Bulbs loose brightness overtime, and you should see a good difference with any replacement bulb.

Like cheech says, sylvania makes some great bulbs. I have used them in most of my cars over the years. Lifespan is the only disadvantage. I typically get 1 - 2 years before I have to replace them.

Cheech, you said you like the phillips x treme bulbs too, but they are not as white. Do they have a yellowish or blueish tint to them? Blue I can live with, yellow drives me crazy.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by rip14
If they are the original bulbs, (5 years old), then I would replace them for sure. Bulbs loose brightness overtime, and you should see a good difference with any replacement bulb.

Like cheech says, sylvania makes some great bulbs. I have used them in most of my cars over the years. Lifespan is the only disadvantage. I typically get 1 - 2 years before I have to replace them.

Cheech, you said you like the phillips x treme bulbs too, but they are not as white. Do they have a yellowish or blueish tint to them? Blue I can live with, yellow drives me crazy.
they are more yellowish but let me tell ya i was driving my girls car and she was driving mine, man she was blinding me, them lights are bright. maybe its cuz i have a truck and she a sedan and the car was higher i dont know but there bright.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM

We have replaced the bulbs, but can't remember the brand. I'm sure it was just an off-the-shelf at a local auto store. They are sooo bad, I don't think a 20% improvement will cut it. The lenses don't really look hazed/yellowed - at least not as significantly as you'd expect by the light output. Guess I'll try polishing them and new bulbs.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM

you can try eurolite lights

Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Does this model have plastic headlight "glass"? A friend had the same complaint. Her headlight lenses were all cloudy. We cleaned them up with a kit from NAPA. Made a big difference. Just a thought.
Drive Safe
Check6

Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Just one word:
XENON