Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Default How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?

My guess is nine liters.....has anyone put it to the test? How many Km's did you get after the light comes on? I want to know how far to push it?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Default RE: How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?

Refuel dude or yourfuel pump will start to pick upthe crap that's at the bottom of your tank and eventually block your fuel filter.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 PM

It should say in the owners manual. I second not making a habit of letting it get that low.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 PM

probably a couple gallons. I'm not sure if I subscribe into the low tank clogging fuel pumps..the pump is at the bottom and if there's gunk settled, it would pick it up anyways...unless the gunk is lighter than fuel...so I'm not sure

I've also heard that the pumps are in the tanks and the gas helps cool the pump..not sure how it is in the Outie

Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 PM

If the pump is in the tank then it is cooled by the gas in there. I wouldnt let it run too low.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

If the pump is in the tank then it is cooled by the gas in there. I wouldnt let it run too low.
And judging from the buzz I hear coming from the tank when the engine is reved up, I'm willing to bet the pump is in it.

To the person that said " you will start to pick up junk that settles in the bottom" dont we have a fuel filter for that?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:05 AM

Is changing your fuel filter a hard one for the shop your can you do it in a hour or so at home.....should the tank be at empty before attempting it?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 AM

There is no Serviceable fuel filter on most new cars. It is integral to the fuel pump (which is in-tank). Yes, allowing the tank to run low will encourage the collection of debris from the bottom of the tank. I have seen it many time. But the most impritant reason is the cooling. It is cooled by the fuel around it. Also, even though the tank is internally baffled, if it gets low enough you can slosh the fuel away from the pump, causing it to suck up air and the car will die.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: OTO27

To the person that said " you will start to pick up junk that settles in the bottom" dont we have a fuel filter for that?
That's what I said, the fuel filter will get blocked not the pump (blocked filterequals fuel starvation), all I'm saying is the pump will do the sucking.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:15 PM

When the second light "Low Fuel' indicator comes on you have about 1-1/2 gallons left = about 25/30 miles to drive before empty.

Quick Reply: How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?