Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Interior overhead lights do not work

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Default Interior overhead lights do not work

Hi, been bugging me for ages, my interior overhead lights do not work on my 09 Outlander, the one by the tailgate does... no matter where the switch is, or if I press the lamp on or off, they do not work..

finaly I tried snapping out the light assembly from the interior ceiling panel, and they started working fine (obviously proofing that the fuse and bulbs were fine)...well after about a week or two, I am back where I started from...no lights

sounds to me like I have a bad ground, does the ground come from the complete assembly grounding to the ceiling panel... obviously if that is the case its is not working well, or is there a separate ground wire, and if not, has any one ever had this issue, and resolved it by splicing in an auxilliary ground wire..

as always thank you for your response..

Old 09-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bobmga62
Hi, been bugging me for ages, my interior overhead lights do not work on my 09 Outlander, the one by the tailgate does... no matter where the switch is, or if I press the lamp on or off, they do not work..

finaly I tried snapping out the light assembly from the interior ceiling panel, and they started working fine (obviously proofing that the fuse and bulbs were fine)...well after about a week or two, I am back where I started from...no lights

sounds to me like I have a bad ground, does the ground come from the complete assembly grounding to the ceiling panel... obviously if that is the case its is not working well, or is there a separate ground wire, and if not, has any one ever had this issue, and resolved it by splicing in an auxilliary ground wire..

as always thank you for your response..

I just got an 07 Outlander recently. I'm not sure if it's different, but I have three interior lights. One is over the driver seats, one is over the first row passenger seats, and one is in the trunk area.

My driver-area lights worked if I clicked the manual buttons, but not if I moved the switch. It turned out there was a little metallic ball in the switch mechanism that moves around, and makes or breaks contact when moving the switch. Except, the ball came loose and wasn't making contact.

I put it back in place, and flipped the switch a few times, and the ball came loose. Tried tightening the pieces around it... and it happened again. So now I'm just sort of dealing with it.

If your lights operate the same way, it *could* be a similar issue.