Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

iPhone, Bluetooth, and iOS 8

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Question iPhone, Bluetooth, and iOS 8

Greetings all,

Previously, my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1.2 connected fine to the bluetooth head unit in my 2010 XLS Outlander (standard head unit). There were random disconnects at times, but nothing as of what I've seen recently.

Now, having upgraded to iOS 8.0.2, I can't use my iPhone 5 for hands-free calling. I can stream audio without issue, but if a call comes in, it won't answer over the speaker system. I've tried using the answer button and switching the source on my iPhone to the Hands Free Bluetooth.

If I use the answer button and dial from the car's phonebook, it will connect and I can make a hands free calls. If I dial from the iPhone, it doesn't connect to the car.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I checked with the dealer and I am the first to report it. They also indicated there are no firmware updates for the head unit.

Eventually, I will upgrade the head unit, but until then I wanted to see if there is a solution for this problem.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 AM

I've had the same problem. My wife had an iPhone 4 that worked without any issues for 2 years. She just upgraded to a 5C with IOS 8 and it just won;t work right. The phone connect via bluetooth without any issue. When receiving a call it rings through the radio as expected, but after answering using the steering wheel controls, it switches to the phone for the conversation. You then have to select handsfree on the phone to switch back to using the radio for the hands free conversation. This has been going on now for almost 3 weeks. I just haven't had time to try to fool around with it. I was hoping it would be a stupid simple fix, but based on what you're saying, it doesn't sound like it.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by dcmoon
I've had the same problem. My wife had an iPhone 4 that worked without any issues for 2 years. She just upgraded to a 5C with IOS 8 and it just won;t work right. The phone connect via bluetooth without any issue. When receiving a call it rings through the radio as expected, but after answering using the steering wheel controls, it switches to the phone for the conversation. You then have to select handsfree on the phone to switch back to using the radio for the hands free conversation. This has been going on now for almost 3 weeks. I just haven't had time to try to fool around with it. I was hoping it would be a stupid simple fix, but based on what you're saying, it doesn't sound like it.
Interesting, my iPhone 5 is exhibiting slightly different symptoms:

Call comes in>Answer via unhook button>Phone is using hands free link, but no sound and the caller can't hear me.

If I switch the source on the phone from hands free to phone, back to hands free, I still don't hear anything.

Navigation comes through, music comes through, just not hands free calls...

Old 10-20-2014, 07:36 AM
HJB

Maybe an update is needed??
- have a read the following that sorted issues in the past:
Anyone know how to update nav firmware? - evolutionm.net

Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM

UPDATE:

I discovered that my wife's 2013 Mini Cooper with hands-free was also experiencing the same issue. Couldn't hear/speak to callers when answering calls using "unhook" button.

After some research, it appears that the issue is with iOS 8.0.2

Apple just released iOS 8.1 today. I updated my iPhone 5 and just tested my phone with her Mini - the issue is resolved.

When she returns home with my Outlander, I will test/confirm that 8.1 resolves the issue for the 2010 Outlander XLS w/stock 6-disc radio (not RF).

Last edited by Cali Duck; 10-21-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Confirmed Resolved - I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 8.1 and bluetooth hands-free features are now functional once more for my 2010 Outlander XLS (Stock 6 disc - non-RF)

Old 10-24-2014, 09:17 PM

Updating to IOS 8.1 did not correct the issue for my wife. I was away on business when I saw your last update. I called her and told her to do the update then test with the handsfree. Did not correct the issue. Got home today and paired my work iPhone (IOS 8.1) with the radio and it worked fine. Tested my wife's again still would not work properly. We then started going through all the settings on our phones and found the problem. Go to SETTING>GENERAL>ACCESSIBILITY>CALL AUDIO ROUTING. My phone was set to AUTOMATIC. The wife's was set to SPEAKER. Changed her's to AUTOMATIC and problem was solved.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:42 PM

Updating to IOS 8.1 did not correct the issue for my wife. I was away on business when I saw your last update. I called her and told her to do the update then test with the handsfree. Did not correct the issue. Got home today and paired my work iPhone (IOS 8.1) with the radio and it worked fine. Tested my wife's again still would not work properly. We then started going through all the settings on our phones and found the problem. Go to SETTING>GENERAL>ACCESSIBILITY>CALL AUDIO ROUTING. My phone was set to AUTOMATIC. The wife's was set to SPEAKER. Changed her's to AUTOMATIC and problem was solved.
Good find!

That's interesting that setting got changed. Its set to Automatic by default.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM

UPDATE:
Just found out yesterday that outgoing calls revert to the iPhone. Initiating the call through bluetooth works fine up until the call is answered where it then switches over to the handset. Selecting speaker on the iPhone sends it back over to bluetooth. Incoming calls still work fine though. Looks like more investigation is needed. What a pain!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 PM

UPDATE:
Just found out yesterday that outgoing calls revert to the iPhone. Initiating the call through bluetooth works fine up until the call is answered where it then switches over to the handset. Selecting speaker on the iPhone sends it back over to bluetooth. Incoming calls still work fine though. Looks like more investigation is needed. What a pain!!!
Did you try unpairing, deleting the device from the car/phone, and then re-pairing?