Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Key fob doesnt lock/unlock doors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Default Key fob doesnt lock/unlock doors?

So for some reason one of my key fobs keyless entry doesnt work. Starts the car and everything and my other key fob keyless works. Lights up when buttons are pressed so battery is still good. So any ideas ?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Hi
That happened to one of my keys too. I took it to my dealer and they re-programmed car/key under warranty. Not sure there is any other option.
Ben

Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Please let us know the outcome. This is becoming a common issue on here.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Bringing an old thread back but I am also having difficulties with my keyless entry system. I have the basic non-FAST system with actual key. The light on the key lights up and I even replaced the batteries for the hell of it but whenever I press the lock/unlock/panic button, car simply doesn't respond. I guess I am gonna take the car to dealership to see what they gotta say but I hate doing that lol I am wondering what would cause for the connection between a key and car to become corrupted or deprogrammed. Anyway, any help/input would be greatly appreciated, thx.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 07-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Just a follow up to those who are interested. I went to my local dealership and they reprogrammed both of my keys free of charge under warranty. Took about 30 minutes. I had the car since November 2009 and this is the first time it has happened. Anyway, the dealership tech told me that this is not the first time he has seen this happen, so I am assuming that it is not an unusual problem. He told me that they don't really know what is causing this, they are assuming that it might be heat or electronic device interference related. While I am happy that things are back to normal, what happens once I run out of warranty...

Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
I went to my local dealership and they reprogrammed both of my keys free of charge under warranty.
I picked up a third key fob and I should have mentioned you need all the key fobs for programming - not just the one that isn't working. The ones you don't program will not work after the new key is reprogrammed.

Had them change out the battery on my key fob as well. Not sure how long you have to switch the battery over before it loses it's programming. I'd guess 30 seconds or so but it's best to get the new battery in the fob as quickly as possible to save an expensive reprogramming.

As for what happens when out of warranty. I think we're stuck paying for the labour to reprogram. Depends on your dealership and your relationship with them.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM

If it's any reassurance, I had mine reprogrammed almost 2 yrs ago and it has been fine ever since.
I may be completely wrong, but I am not sure that you will lose the programming if the battery runs out in the fob. My understanding was that you are re-programming the vehicle to recognize the fob signal - you are not adjusting the signal from the fob. This is certainly the case in some other cars. With many cars, you can just reprogram the car yourself - I did this with my Ford Focus - I just bought a second hand fob and it came with instructions on how to reprogram the car to recognize the fob. Sadly it doesn't seem to be so simple on the outlander.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM

Hey Guys,

Well, it has happened to me again. After about 8 months one of my key fobs stopped to work again. I checked the battery and it seems to be fine. So now one of the remotes still works but the other doesn't (the first time this happened to me both of the remotes stopped working at the same time). I see that in the user manual there are instructions of how to program for a new key. I have followed the instructions but I can't seem to get it working (page 3-12 from 2009 user manual). Did anyone tried to program the key on their own and did it work?

Here are the instructions from the user manual.

1. Have available all (current and new) remote control transmitters you wish to register.

2. With a valid (already registered) remote control transmitter, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds. Then press and hold the LOCK button.

3. Within 10 seconds of pressing the LOCK button, release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons in sequence. At this time, ID codes for all remote control transmitters except for the transmitter used in steps 2 and 3 are erased and the answerback function (door is locked and unlocked) informs you that the registration mode has been activated.

4. Within 60 seconds after step 3, complete the following ID code registration operation using the next remote control transmitter you wish to register within 4 seconds.

i) Press both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 2 seconds.

ii) Release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 1 second.

iii) Press the UNLOCK button. The answerback function informs you that the ID code registration of the transmitter is completed.

5. To register the ID codes of additional remote control transmitters, repeat step 4 within 60 seconds after step 4.

6. If no ID code of a remote control transmitter is registered within 60 seconds after step 4, the registration mode is canceled and the normal mode returns.

I have a bit of an issue understanding step 3: Within 10 seconds of pressing the LOCK button, release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons in sequence

What does release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons in sequence mean, should I release the LOCK button first and then UNLOCK (or vice versa)? or should I release them at the same time? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am still trying to figure out what is causing the keys to deprogram.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Question fab lock out

Second time for me. CUV running, doors locked, beeping, fab nor key will open vehicle. Asshats!

Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Hi all,

I found information that programing fob without MTU-III is only possible if You got two working fobs and You want to add another one (max. 4 fobs).
If we have only one working it is impossible is The only one way to add second fob is using Diagbox or MTU-III. It is for security reason.

Quick Reply: Key fob doesnt lock/unlock doors?